Presented at Baselworld World Watch and Jewellery Show in 2016, the latest watch in the Werenbach collection was developed for astronauts and provides information about the different stages of a Soyuz rocket in orbit.
The LAUNCH SEQUENCER is vastly different from the rest of the collection, and deliberately so, since cosmonaut requirements were a decisive factor in the design. The watch is also hugely exciting for space enthusiasts sadly denied the pleasure of a rocket flight. Thanks to the information provided on the watch – and a little imagination – a greater understanding of the flight is achieved by pressing the “Lift off” button.
The LAUNCH SEQUENCER displays the three stages en route to orbit. Information such as time, altitude and stage (rocket stages 1, 2 and 3) are arranged on the watch, giving readings not only for the point at which each rocket stage is jettisoned, but also when the rocket crosses the boundary to space (Kármán Line).
Seconds after “lift off” are measured on the side of the face and the “rehaut”, minutes are measured on the totalizer above the main hands.
– (Time) travel commences by pressing the lift-off button. The rocket is launched with a propulsive force of 4.5 megatons.
– After 1.58 minutes the first stage is jettisoned; the rocket is now at an altitude of around 46 km and flying at a speed of over 5,000 km/h.
– After 3.10 minutes it crosses the Kármán Line, which represents the boundary to space at an altitude of 100 km. The cosmonauts celebrate the moment with a high-five.
– After 4.48 minutes the second stage, known as the central block, separates. The rocket is at an approximate altitude of 169 km, flying at a speed of over 13,000 km/h.
– After 8.49 minutes the spacecraft breaks away from the rocket. It is now in orbit and coasting at a speed of approx. 27,000 km/h.
Case: SBS Aluminium (Made from the aluminium booster shell, SBS stands for “Soyuz Booster Shell” Added 0.67% copper and 5,89% zinc, reduced 2.89% manganese)
Movement: ETA Valjoux 7750
Diameter: 43 mm
Height: 16 mm
Weight: 70 g
Luminous material: Superluminova GL white W2
Waterproof: 10 ATM