Swedish watch brand created a unique timepiece to show its support to Ukraine.
The Northern lights for Ukraine project started in the first days of March 2022 after a discussion between Patrik Sjögren from GoS and the artist Sunflowerman (Matthew Miller).
Patrik selected a special dial for the project – a guilloche dial that has been through a lot in the GoS workshop, with microscopic battle-scars as evidence. After many attempts, he was finally able to apply the northern-light blue tone with a clean and horizontal line across the irregular guilloche pattern.
The yellow tone was then created by gold plating the other half of the dial. Mathew finished the art-piece with his trademark Sunflowerman color-wash technique in the colors of the Ukranian flag.
The art-piece and watch were both finalized just three weeks after the project was started thanks to hard work and support by movement manufacturer Schwarz Etienne who provided the movement with its special engraving.
The set will be auctioned as a combined lot during Sotheby´s “Important Watches: Part II” with bidding opening on April 27th in Geneva. All proceeds will be provided to Red Cross Ukraine.
Model: Norrsken UA 1/1
Hours, Minutes Seconds
Small second at 6h:00 in the shape of the GoS triskele
ASE200 movement by Schwarz Etienne with GoS micro-rotor in hand-finished damascus steel and heat blued to match the the dial
GoS triskele and “Slava Ukraini” in four languages engraved on click wheel
86h power reserve
33 jewels – 199 parts
30.40mm x 5.25mm
41.5mm x 12.1mm (8mm at edge)
Stainless steel with Stainless damascus steel bezel
Sapphire crystals front and caseback – Front crystal domed with double sided anti-reflective coating
Transparent crystal gaskets in new Swiss-developed material
5ATM water resistance (50m)
Crown with double gaskets and GoS internal impact protection
Silver dial with hand-cut guilloché by master Jochen Benzinger – machined and finished by Patrik Sjögren
Hour index recesses filled with midnight blue Badgerite, developed by James Thompson and Swiss SuperLuminova
Transparent index ring in Swedish Crystal – individually handmade by master glass artisan Mikael Kenlind
Solid ring of Badgerite applied round the Crystal index ring.
GoS viking spearhead – Rhodium plated
GoS triskele small seconds hand
Polished Salmon leather – blue/black – Made in Stockholm, Sweden
Tapered 21mm to 20mm with rounded padding
Pin buckle in stainless damascus steel with GoS triskele logo
Individually handcrafted presentation box in Swedish crystal, handmade by glass artisan Mikael Kenlind
Handcrafted wooden box with vertical opening to protect and showcase the inner presentation box in Swedish crystal
Northern lights for Ukraine – Artpiece
Hand painted in the heart of Fort Worth, TX in the Sunflowerman Atelier.
• 150 lb (320 gsm) cold press watercolor paper
• Watercolors mixed to emblemize the Ukrainian flag
• Black india ink, water based and water proof
• Graphite drawing of the GoS Norrsken blue dial northern lights
• Ink outlines of the Stainless steel case, damascus steel bezel, and northern lights guilloche dial
• Sunflowerman watercolor wash in duo-tone
• Sharp black lines detailing the watch are the structure and the identity of a people, a nation
• The watercolor wash is playing many roles
• representing the Sunflowerman watercolor wash process
• standing for the Ukrainian people in their national colors
• emulating the turbulent division of the Norrsken duo-tone dial in blue + gold with its undulating dividing line across the guilloche texture
• describing this moment in time where a nation whose name is ‘borderlands’ has been invaded but not overtaken, whose borders have been violated but not destroyed