This past weekend, Christie’s Hong Kong realised a combined sale total exceeding HK$202 million / US$26 million / EUR 25 million, marking the second consecutive year for Christie’s Asia of exceeding an annual sale total of HK$500 million(US$ 64 million / EUR 61.9 million) in watch sales.
The auction saw strong global participation from 40 countries; 55% of new buyers are millennials. The Important Watches featuring The Triazza Collection, Part I achieved a total sale of HK$121,822,260 / US$15.6 million / EUR 15.1 million. The Champion Collection, Part VI: The Finest Watchmaking achieved a total sale of HK$80,356,741/US$10.3 million / EUR 9.9 million
The impressive results achieved by ‘Métiers d’Art’ pieces that elevate a craft to the level of art, especially that of enamelling, testify to the growing desirability of timepieces that uniquely combine mechanical perfection and sublime artistry.
Also, the two world records set by Patek Philippe, with the Ref.5208P-001minute repeater perpetual calendar chronograph in platinum fetching more than HK$ 10 million (US$ 1.2 million / EUR 1.2 million) as the top lot of the sale, and the Ref. 5073P-001, a minute repeater perpetual calendar set with baguette-cut diamonds achieving over HK$ 13.6 million (close to US 1.3 million /close to EUR 1.7 million).
The Champion Collection is a testament to the determination and dedication it takes to bring pieces together and curate them into a living entity, always evolving and growing to reflect the personality of its owner.
Here are the world record-breaking results and highlights from The Champion Collection, Part VI:
- Lot 2282: Patek Philippe: An important and highly complicated automatic minute repeating, instantaneous perpetual calendar single-button chronograph wristwatch with moon phases, leap year and day/night indications. Ref. 5208P-001. Circa 2014. Price realised: HK$10,050,000/ US$1,292,600. World Record.
- Lot 2258: An extremely rare, limited edition ladies Patek Philippe automatic World Time: 18k rose gold with diamond-set bezel and cloisonné enameldial depicting Lake Geneva commemorating the Maison’s 175th anniversary. Ref. 7131/175R. Circa 2015. Price realised: HK$2,772,000 US$356,526. World Record.
- Lot 2259: A very rare 18k white gold limited edition automatic Patek Philippe; cloisonné enamel dial by Anita Porchet with a lateen sailboat on Lake Geneva to commemorate the 175th anniversary of Patek Philippe. Ref. 5089G-037. Circa 2015. Price realised: HK$2,016,000/ US$259,292. World Record.
- Lot 2268: A platinum limited edition automatic Patek Philippe with a cloisonné enamel dial by Anita Porchet featuring a butterfly. Ref. 5077P-015. Circa 2009. Price realised: HK 1,638,000/US$210,674. World Record.
- Lot 2279: A very rare and elegant 18k white gold minute repeating Patek Philippe tourbillon wristwatch with black enamel dial and Breguet numerals. Ref. 5539G-001 .Circa 2014. Price realised: HK$5,040,000 / US$646,102. World Record.
Here is a selection of the sale highlights from Important Watches featuring The Triazza Collection, Part I. All 218 lots offered at auction were sold.
- Lot 2519: Extremely rare and magnificent, a platinum and baguette-cut diamond-set automatic “cathedral” minute repeating perpetual calendar Patek Philippe with moon phases, 24-hour and leap year indications. Ref. 5073P-001. Circa 2014. Price Realised: HK$13,650,000 / US$1,755,622. World Record.
- Lot 2523: An extremely rare, limited edition ladies Patek Philippe automatic World Time: 18k rose gold with diamond-set bezel and cloisonné enameldial depicting Lake Geneva commemorating the Maison’s 175th anniversary. Ref. 7131/175R. Circa 2015. Price realised: HK$7,812,000 US$1,004,756.
- Lot 2522: Possibly unique and historically important 18k gold tourbillon keyless Patek Philippe pocket watch from 1924 with white enamel dial, Breguet hands and numerals, with antimagnetic observatory contest case and sector-dial. First Prize at the Geneva Observatory contest in 1931. Price realised: HK$5,922,000/ US$761,670.
- Lot 2419: F.P. Journe, a rare 18k rose gold and silver limited edition tourbillon wrist-watch with gilt brass movement; made to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the famed Maison. Only 99 pieces were produced. Circa 2014. Price realized: HK 3,024,000/ US$388,937.
- Lot 2313: A very rare 18k white gold, diamond and sapphire-set Rolex Daytona automatic chronograph wrist-watch. Ref. 116589. Price realised: HK$2,268,000 / US$291,703.
- Lot 2369: Cartier, a rarely seen asymmetrical wristwatch “Crash” model in platinum with manual movement and silvered dial signed “Paris”. Price realised: HK$2,646,000 / US$340,320