The recently released Ressence Type 3BBB is the ultimate monochrome execution of the revolutionary oil-filled mechanical watch that first launched in 2013. The name stands for ‘Black, Black, Black’ in reference to the reduced colour palette of the watch. The Type 3BBB will be produced for just one year, ending on December 31st 2022.
Drawing on the inherent qualities of Ressence’s crown-free case design and the edge-to-edge sapphire crystal found on both front and back of the watch, the Type 3BBB resembles a perfectly smooth, black pebble. For the first time in the Type 3 range, the Type 3BBB features a polished black DLC-coated titanium case, to match the glossy sapphire.
For maximum impact, Ressence has made a number of changes to the Type 3 dial. All colours have been removed from the indicators, leaving only white and light grey to contrast with the black background. For a more minimalist approach, the running seconds indicator has been removed, and in a departure from existing Type 3 models, the SuperLuminova has been changed from blue to green.
The shiny, pebble-like appearance of the Type 3BBB is a natural complement for the watch’s unique approach to timekeeping. Ressence’s Orbital Convex System (ROCS) sees the various elements of the dial swirl around each other, given unmatched legibility by the oil-filled chamber between the sapphire crystal and the dial.
The patented ROCS unit, developed in-house by Ressence, is fundamental to the Type 3’s creation. Featuring an ever-changing dial with elements that continually orbit each other, its purpose is a more efficient way of telling time. All information is displayed in a single flat plane, much like words on a piece of paper, making for improved readability. This differs from the approach taken by a traditional watch, where the hands and dial are layered on one another producing an uneven viewing plane.
Composed of 215 parts, the gears in the ROCS calculate the hours, day and date, taking only the minute as a reference from the automatic movement.
On the caseback, the interior of the sapphire has been DLC coated, then engraved with the necessary text, which is painted in high-contrast white.
The Type 3BBB comes on an anthracite ‘honeycomb’ strap, previously found on Ressence’s Type 2A.
Model: Ressence Type 3BBB
● Week days
● Oil Temperature
● Patented ROCS 3 – Ressence Orbital Convex System – driven by the minute axle of a specially customised 2824/2 calibre
● Caseback winding and time setting
● Magnetic Transmission
● Compensating Bellow System for the oil (7 Bellows)
● 36 hours power reserve
● 28,800 vibrations per hour
● 47 jewels
● 44 gears
● Convex grade 5 titanium dial (125mm radius) with 4 eccentric biaxial satellites inclined at 3° (hours), 4.75° (week days and thermal gauge) and 6.25° (stabilizer)
● Engraved indications filled with green Superluminova
● Grade 5 titanium with polished black dlc coating
● Two separate sealed chambers with the upper one filled with oil
● Domed sapphire crystals top and bottom with anti-reflective coating
● 44mm (diameter) x 15 mm (thickness)
● 3 ATM water-resistance
Buckle & Strap
● Ardillon Buckle in grade 5 titanium with polished black dlc coating
● Anthracite Honeycomb strap (22/22mm)
● 79 grams
CHF 36’500 (taxes excluded)