Developed by French-Swiss watchmaker Abraham-Louis Breguet about two centuries ago, Tourbillon is one of the most complex and intriguing horological complications. It is an extremely challenging mechanism, so only a few skilled watchmakers are capable of crafting it. Traditionally, Swiss made tourbillon wristwatches are extremely expensive, making them unattainable by most of the watch lovers.
Known for its innovative ‘Afluendor sales concept’, BA111OD was founded by Thomas Baillod. After the successful launch of its first three chapters (watch collections), the Swiss watchmaking firm is presently offering its Chapter 4, a Swiss Made Tourbillon for less than CHF 4’000.00!
With the brand’s innovative commercial approach, the luxury wristwatches equipped with the prestigious tourbillon are now available to a large audience. Christened The Veblen Dilemma Tourbillon, this affordable high complication sends a powerful message to the future of the Swiss watch industry, suppliers and retailers, by reinforcing the attractiveness of the mechanical timepieces.
The Chapter 4 Tourbillon wristwatch was developed in collaboration with a number of Neuchâtel companies with an aim to revitalize the production of both entry-level and mid-range segment watches with Swiss Made quality label.
This 43 mm diameter tourbillon will be entirely produced in the canton of Neuchâtel and its nearby surroundings. The hand-wound Tourbillon caliber, which runs at 21,600 vibrations per hour, was developed by BCP Tourbillons SA in partnership with the veteran watchmaker Olivier Mory.
This highly complicated movement is being offered by the BA111OD watch brand in a customized version, as the BA.01. With a two-year warranty, with 105 hours of power reserve (more than four days) and a shock tolerance of more than 5,000 G, the hand-wound Tourbillon in Chapter 4 by BA111OD is offering a rotating cage that turns in 60 seconds.
This fine watchmaking complication also renders the full range of traditional finishings and decorations: polished-blocked, chamfered and blued screws, double-sided ringed gear train, rolled pivots, etc.
Made of grade 5 titanium, the case of the Veblen Dilemma tourbillon watch features a DLC Black Ice coating. On the edge of the plate, the watch features engraving “To love time, that one which does not count.”
The watch is fitted on an Italian Saffiano cowhide leather strap with night blue stitches, and embedded with the sophisticated NFC technology.
Limited to 220 pieces as a tribute to the 220th anniversary of the Tourbillon, the BA111OD Swiss Made Tourbillon watch is available at an accessible price of CHF 3’920.00 (excluding VAT). Estimated delivery: April 2022.
The companies associated with BA111OD’s Chapter 4 Tourbillon are:
- BCP Tourbillons SA: Based in Cortaillod in the canton of Neuchâtel, BCP Tourbillons SA is a manufacturer of Swiss made mechanical movements.
- derdiedas.design: Founded by Claudio Orlando, derdiedas.design is watch design firm specialized in 3D modeling and realization of virtual images.
- Madeness Solutions Lab SA: Based in La Chaux-de-Fonds, Madeness Solutions Lab SA is a supplier of watch components. Its director is Fabien Brisebard.
- Develop Your Watch Sàrl: Founded by Miguel Bolea, Develop Your Watch Sàrl is a product development company based at Sutz in the Biel/Bienne administrative district. This firm offers suitable solutions to watch brands in designing and developing timepieces.
- DM surfaces SA: Based in Saint Imier, DM surfaces SA undertake machining, decorations, laser engarving and surface treatments of the watch components. Raynald Favre is the director of this company.
- Iseotec SA: Iseotec SA is a La Chaux-de-Fonds based firm specialized in the manufacturing of watch components like case, dial plate, buckle and clasp. Its director is Emeric Chopard.
- Estima SA: Based in Grenchen, Estima manufactures watch hands and dials.
Model: The Veblen Dilemma Tourbillon
Reference: CHAPTER 4.1 T.V.D.
Mechanical hand-wound caliber BA.01 (base BCP Tourbillon)
21,600 vibrations per hour (3 Hertz)
Variable inertia balance
Over 5000 G shock resistance
105 hours power reserve (more than 4 days)
Hours and minutes
Tourbillon at 6 o’clock
Case in grade 5 titanium treated with DLC Black Ice (gun metal anthracite)
43 mm diameter
Water resistance: 50 meters
Semi-open dial according to an original design
Hands covered with SuperLuminova
Smart bracelet (insertion of an NFC emitting chip)
Limited series of 220 watches