Leading a movement toward more environmentally responsible watch manufacturing, Panerai presents Submersible eLAB-ID, a concept watch with the highest percentage of recycled based material.
A total of 98.6% of the Submersible eLAB-ID™ watch’s weight comes from materials integrating a high rate of recycled elements. Its case, sandwich dial and bridges are composed of EcoTitanium™, a recycled titanium alloy that is a lightweight aerospace-grade metal made of more than 80% pure recycled content.
Submersible eLAB-ID™ is the first watch to use 100% recycled SuperLuminova™ on its dial and hands and 100% recycled silicon for its movement escapement. Both are obtained through dedicated, small-scale recycling processes that reuse raw material waste. From the sapphire crystal to the gold hands, most of the major components contain recycled based material.
A marvel of innovation and dedication, Submersible eLAB-ID™ is a major accomplishment for Panerai and a tribute to the creativity and tenacity of the Laboratorio di Idee, the research and development incubator that drives the brand’s technical advancements.
More significantly, Submersible eLAB-ID™ is an opportunity for the watch industry to understand that making a watch using predominantly recycled-based material is possible, thus reducing the need for virgin material extraction and its associated high environmental impact.
Model: Panerai SUBMERSIBLE eLAB-ID PAM01225
Automatic mechanical, P.900e caliber, 12 ½ lignes
17 recycled jewels, 5 jewels
Incabloc™ anti-shock device
Power reserve: Three days
Hours, minutes, small seconds
Unidirectional rotating bezel for the calculation of diving time
Brushed EcoTitanium™, 44mm diameter
Safety Lock crown protection device (protected by trademark)
Unidirectional rotating bezel in brushed EcoTitanium™ with polished knurling, micro-sandblasted engraving
Screwed caseback in EcoTitanium™
Water resistance: 30 bar (~300 meters)
Grey sandwich EcoTitanium™ with luminous hour markers and dots
Small seconds at 9 o’clock
Recycled Grigio Roccia fabric with light blue stitching and trapezoidal EcoTitanium™ buckle
SUBMERSIBLE eLAB-IDTM : Project Partners
- SILTRONIX ST: Supplied 100% recycled silicon material for producing the escapement wheel and anchor.
- SIGATEC: Produced the escapement wheel and anchor from recycled silicon.
- ERAMET: Aubert & Duval, member of High Performance Alloys Division of Eramet Group, supplied EcoTitaniumTM. The case, dial, movement base plate and bridges are made out of EcoTitaniumTM.
- PRO CADRANS: Made the dial of the watch using EcoTitaniumTM and recycled SLN.
- MONYCO: Applied the recycled luminescent substance to dials, hands and other watch components. Additionally, Monyco helped collect SuperLuminovaTM for recycling.
- NOVO CRISTAL: Novo Cristal is Panerai’s recycled sapphire partner.
- RC TRITEC: Supplied the recycled SuperLuminovaTM pigment.
- UGITECH: This France-based steel manufacturer provided recycled stainless steel for manufacturing the case and movement components.
- MORELLATO: The strap, made from recycled plastic, is completely manufactured by Italian company Morellato.
- PANERAI MANUFACTURE: The watch case, base plates and bridges of the movement, all made from EcoTitaniumTM, have been machined entirely at the Panerai Manufacture in Neuchâtel. Every aspect of the watch movement, including assembly, product testing and quality control are performed by Panerai. The complexity of the project, both technically and logistically, required the project and support teams at the Laboratorio di Idee to commit fully, from the establishment of technical solutions to the final product, including identifying partners and technological support.