Christie’s Watches Online: The Dubai Edit (24 March-8 April 2021) achieved a total of $14,120,250 with 89% sold by lot, 100% sold by value, and 131% hammer above low estimate. This exceptional result doubles the previous record for any Christie’s watches online auction, set in December 2020 in New York at $7,743,37.
There was global participation from 37 countries with a total of 558 registrants. This sale has expanded its reach by welcoming participants from 13 new countries for the first time, including Norway, Darussalam and Uganda. Building on the outreach of digital and its 24/7 availability combined with the convenience of a physical viewing in accordance with local covid-19 regulations in the DIFC in Dubai, the sale attracted more than 30,000 visitors online, while the appointment only preview exhibition in the Dubai Christie’s office was fully booked throughout the two weeks.
The top lot of the sale was Patek Philippe’s Sky Moon Tourbillon Ref. 5002, one of the most important watches ever made in modern history. It sold for $1,590,000, setting two new records simultaneously, as the most expensive watch sold at auction in the Middle East plus the new auction record for any watch sold online at Christie’s, previously standing at $600,000 (December 2020 for a ref 1462 by Patek Philippe), established in March 2018 when the Patek Philippe ref 1518 once owned by King Farouk of Egypt sold for $912,500.
The Sky Moon Tourbillon Ref. 5002 was inspired by the Star Caliber 2000, a double-sided pocket watch built to commemorate the new millennium, and boasts a whopping 12 complications with a movement made up of 686 parts.
The complications include the tourbillon, perpetual calendar, moon age, leap year cycle, day of the week, month, date, fly back, minute repeater, sky chart, moon phases and orbit. The reverse dial reveals the angular progression of the stars and moon from the Northern Hemisphere and allows the wearer to observe the waxing and waning of the Earth’s satellite.
Remy Julia, Head of Dubai Watches Department and in charge of the Dubai Edit auction, commented, “These very strong results of the sale demonstrate the continued strength of Christie’s online platform and its ability to reach the broadest possible global audience, establishing the highest value online watches sale ever offered at Christie’s. Additionally, this sale was the first Christie’s online auction to offer a timepiece with an estimate of over $1,00,000 and we are delighted that the Patek Philippe reference 5002 sold for $1,590,000, setting a new record for a watch sold online at Christie’s and for any watch sold at auction in the Middle East. This sale reinforces Christie’s online-first strategy and the strong appetite of our collectors from around the world. The sale opens the watch season 2021 on a very high level and will be remembered as one of the most exciting for Watches at Christie’s and the entire industry.”
Other noteworthy results included two Gérald Genta watches (lot 127 and 128) as well as a Patek Philippe ref 2499 3rd series, representing the most competitive watches of the sale, receiving immense interest and bids from around the globe.
Lot 128, La Grande Sonnerie No.1, in platinum ref G0025.7 by Gérald Genta was estimated at $30,000-40,000 and sold for $500,000, while lot 127, a yellow gold Grand Sonnerie No.3 by Genta achieved 10 times its low estimate, selling for $300,000.
Lot 161, the Patek Philippe ref 2499, 3rd series sold also for $300,000. Another Patek Philippe, this time ref. 5104P, a platinum and gold minute repeater with perpetual calendar, made in 2009, sold for $750,000, and lot 136, a rare 1952 steel Rolex, triple calendar chronograph Snow Compax, ref 6036, tripled its pre-sale estimate and found a new owner at $350,000.
Top achievers (Sold above USD 100,000)
- Patek Philippe Sky Moon Tourbillon in Platinum (Ref. 5002P-001): USD 1,590,000
- Patek Philippe Platinum and Gold Minute Repeater Perpetual Calendar (Ref. 5104P): USD 750,000
- Patek Philippe Platinum Perpetual Calendar Minute Repeater (Ref. 5074P): USD 525,000
- Gérald Genta Platinum Grand Sonnerie, No. 1 (Ref. G0025.7): USD 500,000
- Gérald Genta Pink Gold Grand Sonnerie, No. 1 (REF. G0026.6): USD 375,000
- Opus One by Harry Winston & F.P. Journe, Platinum Dual Time Chronometer Wristwatch: USD 350,000
- Patek Philippe Gold and Diamond-Set Chronograph (Ref. 5071G): USD 350,000
- Patek Philippe Perpetual Calendar Split-Seconds Chronograph with Ruby Hour-Markers (Ref. 5004R): USD 350,000
- Rolex “Snow Compax” Steel Triple Calendar Chronograph (REF. 6036): USD 350,000
- Rolex Gold Oyster Chronograph Antimagnetique Wristwatch with Bracelet, Ref. 3525: USD 350,000
- Gérald Genta Yellow Gold Grand Sonnerie, No. 3, Ref. G0025.7: USD 300,000
- Patek Philippe Gold Perpetual Calendar Chronograph, Ref. 2499 Third Series: USD 300,000
- Audemars Piguet, A Set Of Six Gold Bejewelled Royal Oak Wristwatches: USD 275,000
- F. P. Journe Platinum Chronomètre À Résonance with Brass Movement: USD 275,000
- Rolex “Scheherazade” Platinum Oyster Perpetual Day-Date with Diamond-Set Bezel and Arabic Calendar and Numerals, Ref. 1804: USD 275,000
- Rolex “Brooklyn Bridge” Platinum Diamond-Set Oyster Perpetual Day-Date with an Engraved Dial, Ref. 1804: USD 275,000
- Patek Philippe Gold Minute Repeating Chronometer Wristwatch (REF. 5029R): USD 250,000
- Patek Philippe Platinum and Diamond-Set Perpetual Calendar Chronograph Wristwatch (Ref. 3990P): USD 237,500
- Patek Philippe Platinum and Diamond-Set Perpetual Calendar Chronograph (Ref. 5971P): USD 225,000
- Patek Philippe Platinum Perpetual Calendar Split-Seconds Chronograph (Ref. 5004P): USD 200,000
- Patek Philippe Gold Nautilus Moon-Phase with Calendar (Ref. 5722G-001): USD 175,000
- F. P. Journe Platinum Tourbillon Souverain with Constant Force Device and Dead Beat Seconds: USD 150,000
- F. P. Journe Platinum Octa Zodiaque with Brass Movement: USD 150,000
- Rolex Steel Oyster Perpetual Submariner “Big Crown”, Ref. 5510: USD 150,000
- F. P. Journe Platinum Octa Réserve De Marche with Brass Movement: USD 137,500
- Richard Mille Titanium Rm010 to Mark 1st Abu Dhabi F1 Grand Prix, MBZ Limited Edition 081/200: USD 137,500
- Vacheron Constantin Gold Malte Perpetual Calendar Minute Repeater (Ref. 30040): USD 137,500
- Audemars Piguet Gold Automatic Perpetual Calendar, Ref. 25654BA: USD 125,000
- Rolex Stainless Steel Oyster Perpetual Sea-Dweller (MK 1 “Patent Pending”), Ref. 1665: USD 125,000
- Richard Mille Titanium Flyback Chronograph Aviation with E6-B Slide Rule, Ref. RM039-01: USD 125,000
- Patek Philippe Ref. 1526J Third Series Gold Perpetual Calendar: USD 125,000
- Patek Philippe Gold Perpetual Calendar Chronograph (Ref. 3970ER-12): USD 112,500
- Rolex “Pac-Man” Gold Oysterquartz Day-Date, Diamond and Ruby-Set Wristwatch and Bracelet (Ref. 19168): USD 112,500
- Rolex “Meccano” Gold Day-Date Oysterquartz Set With Diamonds and Sapphires (Ref. 19168): USD 112,500
- Patek Philippe Platinum Perpetual Calendar Chronograph (Ref. 3970EP): USD 106,250
- Rolex Stainless Steel Daytona Chronograph “Big Red”, Ref. 6265: USD 100,000
- Patek Philippe Gold Chronograph with Pulsometer Scale (Ref. 130): USD 100,000