Introduced in 2019, the RJM Bluebird by REC Watches incorporate aluminum from the wings of a 1944 Spitfire aircraft that crashed on the Russian Tundra during WW2. This timepiece is limited to 334 pieces.
The RJM collection was first introduced in December 2008 as a tribute to the mighty Spitfire aircrafts. The RJM 04 BLUEBIRD is the fourth timepiece from this family. In 1945, a Spitfire aircraft crashed on the Russian tundra during a dogfight. This incredible story is captivated in the RJM 04 BLUEBIRD, which also marks end of an era for the RJM as it completes the collection.
The RJM 04 BLUEBIRD features a blue sunburst dial and a blue woven strap, honoring the RAF pilots and their famous blue uniform. The story of how the azure color became synonymous with the uniforms of the British Royal Air Force pre-dates the RAF itself, as the blue fabric was originally manufactured for the Russian army. However due to the Russian Revolution the RAF acquired these uniforms after having been founded in 1918.
It sports a 40mm diameter stainless steel case with sapphire crystal top glass and mineral crystal case-back. The mechanical engine that powers this timepiece is a MIYOTA 9015 automatic caliber with a power reserve of more than 40 hours. Its oscillating weight takes inspiration from the spitfire metal rivet construction.
In honor of this one-of-a-kind aircraft, the brand has been donating part of the proceeds of every sold RJM timepiece towards the restoration of PT879, the donor Mark IX Spitfire aircraft.
- The four “holes” on the tip marks the number of blades on the MK IX Spitfire Aircraft Rotol propeller.
- The crown guard is heavily inspired by the Spitfire elliptical wing shape & wing structure.
- The blue woven strap is as a tribute to the RAF pilots and their famous blue uniform.
- The case shape is inspired by the watches worn by the British Royal Airforce and the British Army during WWII – with a modern twist and proportions.
- The crown tip is inspired by the nose cone of the Spitfire fighter mixed with a traditional diamond shaped crown.
- The rotor decoration is inspired by the spitfire metal rivet construction.
- The date window is recycled from a piece of untreated aluminum cut directly from the PT879 MK IX Spitfire aircraft.
Model: The RJM Bluebird
316L stainless steel case
Diameter: 40 MM
Opening diameter: 33 MM
Height: 10.9 MM
Top glass: Sapphire crystal with AR-coating
Mineral crystal caseback glass
Water resistance: 3 ATM, 30 meters
MIYOTA Cal. 9015 with rotor decoration
Type: Mechanical, self-winding
Frequency: 28,800 VPH
Power reserve: 40+ hours
Blue Sunburst Dial with powerful lume on hands and hour markers
Date aperture at 6H
Filt / Calf leather inner lining strap
Strap width: 20 mm
2 years full warranty
Recommended retail price
$1,295.00 USD / € 1,745.00 EUR