Ressence Type 3W is the first ever white dial in a mechanical oil filled timepiece.
The genesis of the Type 3 starts with the Ressence Orbital Convex System (ROCS), the unique in-house developed (and patented) horological unit featuring an ever-changing dial that continually orbit around one another. The purpose is a more efficient way of telling time. Information is displayed on a single surface, much like words on a piece of paper, making for improved readability.
This differs than that of a traditional watch, where the hands and dial are layered on one another producing an uneven viewing plane. Composed of 215 parts, the gears in the ROCS calculates the hours, day and date, taking only the minute as a reference from the automatic movement.
First debuted in 2013, the Type 3 is the first ever oil-filled mechanical watch. A true achievement in Fine Watchmaking, the Type 3 is designed with a “water drop” dial effect in order to achieve crystal clear dial legibility for the wearer. To accomplish this, Ressence uses applied science. Because oil and glass share very similar responses to light refraction, the eye is tricked into momentarily losing its depth perception. The result is that the watch’s dial seems ever closer, vision of it apparently unimpeded by glass at all.
The Type 3W builds upon that achievement by featuring the first ever white dial in an oil filled timepiece; invoking a freshness, clarity and sense of modernity that has become synonymous with the brand. The Type 3W contrasts naturally with the iconic black dial of the original Type 3.
Ressence ingeniously designed a two-chamber system inside the Type 3 to keep the mechanical movement and oil separate. The lower chamber is comprised of the customized automatic movement and the upper chamber is hermetically-sealed with the ROCS display module bathing in 35.7ml of oil.
As such with the two-chamber system, there is no direct mechanical link between the watch’s movement and the ROCS. To accommodate this, the Type 3W uses a magnetic transmission to tie the modules together. This is done by connecting several micro-magnets to each other and positioning them in both the oil-filled upper chamber and the dry lower chamber. In order to compensate for oil volume fluctuation (dependent on temperature), the watch is fitted with a system of seven small bellows that expand and contract dependent on the increase and decrease of the oil’s volume.
For a charming visual cue – the system is indirectly connected to the temperature gauge on the dial so the user can see a representation of the bellows capacity in action. The rotating, white finished discs provide a striking visual contrast to the black and gray indications (filled with extra strong Super-LumiNova®), exhibiting a contemporary sensibility.
● Runner (180 Seconds)
● Week days
● Oil Temperature
● Patented ROCS 3 – Ressence Orbital Convex System – driven by the minute axle of
● a specially customised 2824/2 calibre
● Caseback winding and time setting
● Magnetic Transmission
● Compensating Bellow System for the oil (7 Bellows)
● 36 hours power reserve
● 28,800 vibrations per hour
● 47 jewels
● 44 gears
● Convex grade 5 titanium dial (125mm radius) with 4 eccentric biaxial satellites
● inclined at 3° (hours), 4.75° (week days and thermal gauge) and 6.25° (runner)
● Engraved indications filled with Superluminova
● Grade 5 titanium
● Two separate sealed chambers with the upper one filled with 35.7 ml of oil
● Domed sapphire crystals top and bottom with both sides anti-reflective coating
● 44mm (diameter) x 15 mm (thickness)
● 3 ATM water-resistance
Buckle & Strap
● Ardillon Buckle in grade 5 titanium
● Strap (22/22mm)
● 79 grams
● Type 3W – White dial – CHF 36’500 (taxes excluded)
● Type 3B – Black dial – CHF 36’500 (taxes excluded)
● Type 3BB – Black dial, black case – CHF 36’500 (taxes excluded)