Watchmaking excellence was honoured this Thursday November 7th in Geneva at the 19th Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Genève (GPHG) prize-giving ceremony, brilliantly hosted by actor Edouard Baer.
The GPHG’s independent jury awarded 19 prizes and attributed the “Aiguille d’Or” Grand Prix to Audemars Piguet for the Royal Oak Selfwinding Perpetual Calendar Ultra-Thin watch. The Bvlgari, Chanel, Chronométrie Ferdinand Berthoud, Genus, Hermès, Kudoke, MB&F, Ming, Seiko, Tudor, Urwerk, Vacheron Constantin and Voutilainen brands were also rewarded for their expertise and creativity.
The Special Jury Prize, which honours an influential actor in the watchmaking world, was bestowed on Luc Pettavino, Founder and Organiser of Only Watch.
On the eve of its 20th anniversary, the GPHG is announcing the upcoming creation of an academy of the profession. This major initiative, reflecting its unifying mission and supported by the City and Canton of Geneva, will constitute a vast network of ambassadors who will take part in the various stages of watch selection and contribute to the worldwide promotion of the watchmaking art. The academy will be operational in spring 2020.
GPHG 2019 EDITION – WINNERS
1. “Aiguille d’Or” Grand Prix: Audemars Piguet, Royal Oak Selfwinding Perpetual Calendar Ultra-Thin
2. Ladies’ Watch Prize: Chanel, J12 Calibre 12.1
3. Ladies’ Complication Watch Prize: MB&F, Legacy Machine FlyingT
4. Men’s Watch Prize: Voutilainen, 28ti
5. Men’s Complication Watch Prize: Audemars Piguet, Code 11.59 by Audemars Piguet Minute Repeater Supersonnerie
6. Iconic Watch Prize: Audemars Piguet, Royal Oak “Jumbo” Extra-thin
7. Chronometry Watch Prize: Chronométrie Ferdinand Berthoud, Carburised steel regulator
8. Calendar and Astronomy Watch Prize: Hermès, Arceau L’heure de la lune
9. Mechanical Exception Watch Prize: Genus, GNS1.2
10. Chronograph Watch Prize: Bvlgari, Octo Finissimo Chronograph GMT Automatic
11. Diver’s Watch Prize: Seiko, Prospex LX line diver’s
12. Jewellery Watch Prize: Bvlgari, Serpenti Misteriosi Romani
13. Artistic Crafts Watch Prize: Voutilainen, Starry Night Vine
14. “Petite Aiguille” Prize: Kudoke, Kudoke 2
15. Challenge Watch Prize: Tudor, Black Bay P01
16. Innovation Prize: Vacheron Constantin, Traditionnelle Twin Beat perpetual calendar
17. Audacity Prize: Urwerk, AMC
18. “Horological Revelation” Prize: Ming, 17.06 Copper
19. Special Jury Prize: Luc Pettavino, Founder and Organiser of Only Watch