The Hawker Hurricane Bader Chronograph Limited Edition timepiece created by AVI-8 watches in partnership with the Douglas Bader Foundation commemorates and draws inspiration from the life, times and ethos of Sir Douglas Bader (1910 – 1982).
Sir Douglas Bader
Sir Douglas Bader was renowned as perhaps one of the most celebrated flying aces for the Royal Air Force during the Second World War. His legacy and his life have over the years inspired countless people in many ways. As a double amputee, enlisted into the war effort, he was determined, fearless and intensely loyal. For a country in the grip of war, Bader’s exploits inspired a nation.
His bravery, skill and utter determination were a metaphor and echo for the allied effort in the skies and beyond. A book and subsequent film, Reach for the Sky, chronicled his life and RAF career to the end of the Second World War. Bader campaigned for the disabled and in the Queen’s Birthday Honours in 1976 was appointed a Knight Bachelor “for services to disabled people.”
AVI-8 Hawker Hurricane Bader Chronograph Limited Edition
AVI-8 has worked closely with Sir Douglas Bader’s family in producing a commemorative limited edition timepiece replete with visual and aesthetic cues from Sir Douglas Bader’s own life in the skies.
In addition to a lump sum donation, AVI-8 will donate 10% of all sales from the Bader Chronograph Limited Edition collection which will go towards the Douglas Bader Foundation that was set up in 1982 by Bader’s family and friends. The charity exists to advance and promote the mental and spiritual welfare of persons who are without one or more limbs, or otherwise physically disabled.
The Bader Chronograph Limited edition pays particular homage to his time as Wing Commander of No. 242 Canadian Squadron and his Hawker Hurricane, which took part in the Battle of Britain, where Bader alone was credited for 12 victories.
Each watch is uniquely numbered and one of a highly limited edition run of 726 pieces reflecting 242 (in honour of the 242 Squadron) pieces each across the three colour-ways presented.
More details at AV-8 online store.
About The Douglas Bader Foundation
The Douglas Bader Foundation exists to advance and promote the physical, mental and spiritual welfare of persons who are without one or more limbs, or otherwise physically disabled. It was formed in 1982 by members of Bader ’s family and friends, many of whom had flown with Douglas during World War 2.
The Foundation’s many achievements include:-
- The Douglas Bader Centre at Queen Mary’s Hospital, Roehampton; completed in 1993 to support rehabilitation services for amputees.
- The Douglas Bader Grant Scheme assists individuals disabilities as well as groups working with and supporting those individuals throughout the UK to achieve a variety of goals in diverse areas ranging from education, the arts, sport and recreation including junior Amputee games/Junior Tri-Athlons.
- The Bader Braves has enabled over 2,000 children with disabilities and their families to experience flying in alight aircraft, sailing, go karting and adventure weekend. BILL provides help, advice and support for people affected by limb loss, blogs and case studies from people affected, information about amputation, legal advice.
- The first overseas Bader Walking School at the University Malaya Medical Centre, Kuala Lumpur.
- The Bader Challenges designed to encourage disabled people to benefit from undertaking life-changing challenges.
- The Bader Display Team the UK’s first disabled display team.
- The Bader’s Big Band the UK’s first disabled musical band.
Model: AVI-8 Hawker Hurricane Bader Chronograph Limited Edition
316L Stainless steel case
Diameter: 44.0 mm
Mineral lens with anti-reflective coating
Fixed case bezel
Water resistance: 5 ATM
Stainless steel screw-down case-back
The Douglas Bader Foundation logo marked on the case back
Multi-layered dial with Swiss luminous applied index
Swiss luminous applied indexes
Swiss luminous hands
Sir Douglas Bader’s Signature etched on dial
“Seconds hand” in shape of Sir Douglas Bader’s Hawker Hurricane
The 22 hour marker of outer dial ring highlighted in blue: Group Captain Sir Douglas was a Royal Air Force flying ace during the Second World War. He was credited with 22 Aerial Victories, four shared victories, six probables, one shared probable and 11 enemy aircraft damage
1/10th second chronograph subdial inspired by the Altimeter in cockpit
24 hours display
Stopwatch for 60 minutes display
Stopwatch second display
Quartz Chrono – 3 hands with date, 1/1 sec. chrono
Genuine leather strap + nylon NATO strap
Width (MM): 22.0mm
No.242 Squadron leader Pennant stitched on nylon NATO strap and pennant colours on leather strap
Sir Douglas Bader’s Hurricane’s Fin Marking colours hand-stitched on the leather strap
£ 225.00/ $285.00
Please visit AV-8 Watches online store for more technical details, pricing and availability.