This new distinction was given to the Maison Bovet by Robb Report magazine for the Tourbillon Récital 26 Brainstorm® Chapter One.
In 2016, BOVET 1822 unveiled the Shooting Star tourbillon, the first timepiece in an exclusive collection dedicated to astronomy. The Astérium and Grand Récital tourbillons then followed in 2017 and 2018 respectively. Each of the three timepieces boasted groundbreaking technical specificities and explored new ways of measuring time, and each was also housed in a characteristic inclined case, inspired by and shaped like a sloped writing desk.
Designed by BOVET 1822 Owner, Mr. Raffy, the “writing slope” case features a bezel inclined at 6o’clock. This ingenious idea makes it possible to diversify and organize the types of displays by using domes, rollers, discs, and three-dimensional hands to enhance intuitiveness, ergonomics, and elegance. The three-dimensional design prioritizes information for improved readability and brings the collector’s eye to the heart of the movement to discover the excellence found in each detail.
As seen by the numerous awards bestowed on the trilogy’s timepieces, notably including the Aiguille d’Or Grand Prix which honored Grand Récital at the Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Genève in 2018, collectors and experts commend the stylistic revolution of the “writing slope” case. Mr. Raffy brought a new dimension to it through the transparency of the sapphire case of the Récital 26 Brainstorm® Chapter One.
Technicians and artisans faced many challenges when designing its sapphire “writing slope” case. The original case design was manufactured up until this point with various metal alloys. In order to respect that design, the interior and exterior machining and polishing of the sloped middle required new, unprecedented technologies and techniques.
The characteristic incline of the bezel’s plane also required some ingenuity from the artisans who had to develop exclusive and innovative solutions. The bezel and middle are therefore worked in a single piece of sapphire and an upper glass is welded onto it. The back consists of a bezel and four machine-cut horns in grade 5 titanium. It goes without saying that the back features a sapphire glass that opens wide to reveal the movements inside… It has many secrets to unveil. In order to optimize transparency and ergonomics, the BOVET 1822 watchmakers decided to set the movement at the back rather than in the middle where it is usually housed. This atypical construction in a material as demanding as sapphire makes sense given the architecture of the movement powering the Brainstorm® Chapter One.
While all of these complications and their unprecedented staging are staggering and fully justify the use of sapphire for this case, the latter has to be pivoted to allow you to observe the movement from that side and appreciate its greatest secrets. From this perspective, we immediately note the movement’s atypical construction.
The movement, entirely developed and manufactured in BOVET 1822’s offices and workshops, reveals a stepped architecture whose succession of inclined planes carries all the movement’s mobiles and components. This exclusive choice offers a host of advantages from many angles.
First of all, it makes it possible to optimally fill the volume of the middle’s V shaped profile for enhanced ergonomics and an aesthetic worthy of the most demanding criteria in fine watchmaking craftsmanship. Legibility is also improved. Each indication is articulated around an axis perpendicular to the inclined plane of the bezel, thereby offering the best reading angle in a normal position.
It is undoubtedly technical and technological prowess that governed the choice of sapphire for the absolute esthetic coherence of this timepiece. It has captivated the enthusiastic Robb Report jury who awarded it with this new distinction, one of many prestigious awards earned by BOVET 1822.
List of awards given to BOVET 1822
In 1855, during the first universal exhibition held in Paris, BOVET won the golden media in the category “luxury” for a pair of enameled timepieces commissioned by the Emperor of China.
Since 2006 and the set-up of the integrated Manufacture DIMIER 1738, by Pascal Raffy, the House received 32 prestigious awards from renowned juries worldwide and among them the “Aiguille d’Or” of the Grand Prix d’Horlogerie de Genève for the Récital 22 Grand Récital.
- 2019 – Récital 26 Brainstorm Chapter One “Material Achievement” for Best of the Best Robb Report US
- 2018 – Récital 22 Grand Récital “Best Design Watch” at the Middle East Watch of the Year Awards
- 2018 – Récital 22 Grand Récital “Aiguille d’Or” by Grand Prix de l’Horlogerie de Genève
- 2018 – Récital 22 Grand Récital “Innovation” by Watches Russia
- 2018 – Récital 22 Grand Récital “Editor Early Favorites” for Best of the Best Robb Report US
- 2018 – Edouard Bovet “Grande Complication” by Watches Russia
- 2018 – Bovet Clock Asterium Tower, Seoul “Bronze A Design Award” Luxury Design Category
- 2018 – Récital 22 Grand Récital “Best of the Best” by Robb Report Russia
- 2017 – Virtuoso VIII “Iconic Timepiece of the Year 2017” by Signature Magazine Oman
- 2017 – Récital 20 Astérium “Complicated Watch of the Year” by Revolution Russia
- 2017 – Pascal Raffy appointed a distinguished member of the “Caesar Honoris – Hall of Fame”
- 2017 – Monsieur Bovet “Best Classical Watch” at the Middle East Watch of the Year Awards
- 2017 – Récital 20 Astérium “Best of the Best” Astronomical Watches by Robb Report Russia
- 2016 – Maison Bovet “Best Independent Watch Brand of the Year” at the Middle East Watch of the Year Awards
- 2016 – Récital 18 Shooting Star “Best of the Best” Travel Watches by Robb Report Russia
- 2016 – Récital 18 Shooting Star “Watch with Complications of the Year” at the Luxembourg Watch fair Awards
- 2015 – Récital 17 “Best of the Best” Multi-Time Zone Watches by Robb Report Russia
- 2015 – Récital 17 “Best Multi-Time Zone Watch” at the Middle East Watch of the Year Awards
- 2014 – Maison Bovet appointed at the Fondation de la Haute Horlogerie
- 2014 – Récital 9 Miss Alexandra “Ladies Watch of the Year” at 0024 European Watch of the Year Awards
- 2014 – Récital 12 Monsieur Dimier “Best Classical Watch” at the Middle East Watch of the Year Awards
- 2013 – Amadéo Fleurier 39 Magnolia “Best of the Best” Visual Artistry by Robb Report Russia
- 2012 – Rising Star “Best Multi Time Zone Watch” at Middle East Watch of the Year Awards
- 2012 – Maison Bovet “Brand of the Year” by GMW Magazine
- 2011 – Amadéo Fleurier 39 Ladies Touch “Best of the Best” by Robb Report Russia
- 2011 – Ottanta Award Winner at the 0024 European Watch of the Year Awards
- 2011 – Ottanta “Best of the Best” Men’s Watches by Robb Report USA
- 2011 – Ottanta “Best of the Best” Design Watches by Robb Report Spain
- 2010 – Tourbillon 5-Day Jumping Hours “Special Jury Prize” 0024 European Watch of the Year Awards
- 2010 – Ottanta “Best Achievement in Watch Design” by Revolution Asia
- 2007 – Minute Repeater Jumping Hours “Best of the Best” Complication Watches by Robb Report Russia
- 2006 – Maison Bovet Rising Star award for “Special Achievement” by Revolution Asia