Based in Pforzheim, southern Germany, Laco has been expertly crafting professional pilot‘s watches for over 80 years. These 1940‘s-style watches are particularly sought-after among keen collectors, and they form a quintessential part of the company‘s history. To recapture the charm and authenticity of the original, Laco has been developing an innovative surface finish technique that triggers an artificial ageing process. The result is all those special characteristics valued by enthusiasts of the old B-watches: hints of rust on the casing, minute scratches and subtle discolourations.
They are genuine “Erbstücke” (means: heirlooms). Four new members, each of which is individually named after a bustling metropolis, are now here to enrich the current collection: Venedig Erbstück, Wien Erbstück, Graz Erbstück and Florenz Erbstück. Each model interprets the expressive appearance of historic pilot‘s watches in its own unique way.
One special highlight is the cream-coloured dials that are covered entirely with a layer of luminous Superluminova C3 paint. Unlike most watches of this sort, this paint layer isn‘t just restricted to the hands and figures. This makes the dial much easier to read in the dark. In keeping with the line‘s dial layout, both the dials and stainless steel casings are given individual ageing treatment by virtue of meticulous handicraft. The same applies to the luminous hands which are additionally thermally blued. Each watch is thereby made unique thanks to exquisite visual effects.
The authenticity is complemented with the B-marked case back and the engravings on the flanks of the casing. It refers to the „FL 23883“, which formerly specified the requirements for observation watches for use by the Luftwaffe.
Another stylish feature is the brown calfskin strap with vintage charm. Along with ageing treatment, it is furnished with the two characteristic rivets on each side of the strap.
In contrast, the technology in the new heirlooms is completely modern. The hands tick away inside a 42 mm large case.
These timepieces are driven by the automatic caliber Laco 24, based on the ETA 2824-2 in Elaboré grade. Another new option offered by Laco is the watches in the TOP grade for an extra value of 130 Euros.
861943: Venedig Erbstück
Dial type A, automatic movement Laco 24 (base: ETA 2824.2, Elaboré)
861945: Florenz Erbstück
Dial type A, hand winding movement Laco 01 (base: ETA 2801.2, Elaboré)
861944: Wien Erbstück
Dial type B, automatic movement Laco 24 (base: ETA 2824.2, Elaboré)
861946: Graz Erbstück
Dial type B, hand winding movement Laco 01 (base: ETA 2801.2, Elaboré)
– Pilot watches with stainless steel case, elaborately manually aged for a vintage look
– Ø 42 mm, double curved sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating, water resistant up to 5 ATM, lateral engraving “FL23883”, case back with marking of the typical B-watch details, crown like B-watch
– Optionally available with automatic movement Laco 24 (Basis: ETA 2824.2, Elaboré) or hand-winding movement Laco 01 (Basis: ETA 2801.2, Elaboré)
– Dial completely filled with luminous material Superluminova C3, dial design like the B-watches (type A or type B), elaborately manually aged for a vintage look
– Hands also filled with luminous material Superluminova C3, additionally thermally blued, manually aged
– Brown, closed pilot watch strap with rivets, antique look, 20 mm width
– Incl. wooden gift box with packaging
– Weight: approx. 92 g
– RRP: 1.950 €
– Estimated date of delivery: spring 2019