Swiss watch brands DELMA and DELBANA are owned by Delma Watch Ltd, the Lengnau based company that has been producing discreet and elegant watches since 1920s.
The Thuya watch making company was founded in 1924 by A. & A. Gilomen in Lengnau. The companies A.& A. Gilomen S.A., Montres Thuya and Midland & Crestwood produced watches under the brand names “Thuya”, “Midland”, “Berios”, “Lexliowar” and “Crestwood”, which were mainly destined for the European and US markets. The company launched the DELMA watch brand in 1952 and in 1966; the company was renamed to Delma Watch Ltd.
The DELBANA watch company was established in 1933 by Goliardoardo Della Balda. The success of the DELBANA watch brand required more production capacity. From 1954 in the new, impressing factory more than 100 employees with a lot of professional know-how and feeling brought life into the small marvels. A network of outworkers in Grenchen supported the success of the enterprise. All mechanical movements had been assembled in house and passed strict quality controls.
All rough movements mainly had been provided by A. Schild Ltd. Movements such as AS 1250 with “hammer-winding”, and AS 1361 with “rotor-winding” bear witness to important technical innovations at that time. The first launched waterproof watches had helped considerably to establish the brand name in Eastern Europe markets such as Poland, Hungary etc. The most famous movement was AS 1130 with small second hand.
The most requested watch, the Military model, was sold by quantities of many 10’000 pieces to Argentina, Chile and Columbia etc. In the years of 50s and 60s more than 100’000 watches were yearly delivered in many countries all over the world. In 2002, DELBANA watch brand was integrated to the Delma Watch Ltd.
TIMELINE – DELMA
- 1924 – The company Thuya was founded by A. & A. Gilomen in Lengnau
- 1952 – First introduction of the Delma Brand
- 1966 – Company renamed to Delma Watch Ltd. after its strongest brand
- 1984 – Launch of the Quattro model, Delma’s first Diver Watch
- 1987 – Founding of Delma Far East and Delma USA Ltd.
- 1991 – Launch of Delma’s famous Klondike Collection, Automatic Movements, Limited Edition
- 1992 – Introduction of the Klondike Moon Phase Edition
- 1995 – Launch of Platinum Collection, Delma’s First Platinum Watch
- 1999 – 75 years company anniversary
- 2000 – Own perfume „Aqua di Delma“
- 2001 – Introduction of Gabriela Sabatini timepieces, made by Delma
- 2002 – 50 Years jubilee of the Delma Brand; Integration of Delbana brand
- 2004 – 80 Years company anniversary
- 2007/08- Introduction of Lady D line with genuine diamonds
- 2008 – Elvira Rahic, famous singer and Delma Ambassadress
- 2009 – Ralf Mackel, unique blind sport car and motorcycle driver becomes brand ambassador.
- 2011 – Launch of the Santiago Blue Shark Automatic model, Delma’s Diver Watch with 3000m Water Resistant
TIMELINE – DELBANA
- 1933 – Launch of the Delbana brand and foundation of the Delbana Watch Company
- 1976 – After a period of close cooperation with the Wega company, Delbana and Wega merges together
- 1988 – 50 years Company Anniversary
- 2002 – Integration of Delbana brand into Delma Watch Ltd., overhaul of strategic orientation
- 2005 – Worldwide distribution of renewed, more fashion oriented collection enjoys great success
- 2007 – Successful introduction of new Delbana collection in Middle East
- 2008 – 75 year anniversary Delbana brand anniversary
- 2011 – Launch of men’s Manhattan and women’s Florida Collection
- 2012 – Launch of a wide collection of ladies fashion and men’s sport watches