The Sealiner watch series from Cvstos takes inspiration from world of navigation of the Atlantic Ocean routes and spurred by this adventurous spirit of mastering the oceans and the tidal flows. Now, after the famous ‘Sealiner Automatic’ model, Cvstos enriches this watch line with a new perpetual calendar model.
Over the centuries, sailors or navigators have always faced the ebb and flow of the tides. In the major parts of the globe, they occur according to a semi-diurnal lunar cycle. The water rises on average every 12 hours and 25 minutes, before receding again. This timepiece was designed with the specific aim of controlling and mastering each entrance or exit of port, in anticipation of storms and tides.
Cvstos has developed the functions of the basic CVS-6510-YC calibre based on the reports and tables published by the Hydrographic and Oceanographic Service of the French Navy of Brest (SHOM).
Since 2014, the Cvstos engineers have worked hard on this project to finally release this exclusive wristwatch featuring complex horology mechanisms. This new watch shows the perpetual calendar based on the Gregorian calendar and incidentally, the display of the ebb and flow of the tides.
On a skeletonised dial with 4 counters, this calibre displays the necessary data for navigation, indicating the following functions:-
- The moon phases are displayed on the counter at 12 o’clock, in both hemispheres and in superposition, synchronised by a two-pointed hand, the tidal force factor. The tides are based on the lunar force of attraction. When it is full or black (new moon), or, when aligned with the Earth and the Sun, the amplitude is at its peak, with a coefficient of 95 to 120, which descends to 20-45 during the first and last quarters of the moon. This reading, of course, is synchronised with the boat´s azimuth, to establish whether it is located in the northern or southern hemisphere.
- A hand displays the months on the counter at 6 o’clock. A red tip indicates the leap year.
- On the counter at 9 o’clock, the calendar is displayed super-imposed over the calibre driven by a transparent disk and covered by a bridge equipped with a centre-disc system and shifts with the aid of a ruby on an adjustable bezel. For improved transparency, the date is displayed by way of a metal sector directly screwed and positioned by a pin via the CVS-6510-YC calibre.
- On the counter at 3 o’clock, the day is displayed in the same way as at 9 o’clock.
- The hour, minute and second hand are in the centre, with a stylish ellipse design, specific to the Sealiner series.
- The Atlantic Ocean Tidal Cycle Indicator is displayed on the flange, following the hour hand course, with 2 cycles every 24 hours.
All functions can be adjusted at any time via their corrector markers indicating the availability of berths.
Designed in a style which is directly inspired by nautical codes, the open dial as well as the open bottom, offer a remarkable insight into the spectacular mechanism of this calibre. An opening positioned on the edge of the case at 8 o’clock in the shape of a porthole invites the eye to delve into the heart of this mechanism and to discover the architecture of the suspended movement, which appears to levitate within its case.
The back of the watch also features visual elegance with the oscillating weight of the CVS-6510-YC movement, which resembles the shape of a racing sail-boat rudder. Its custom design also optimises winding movement and offers an incomparable view of the mechanism. This brand-specific architecture, consisting of 2 elements (tungsten mass segment + Titanium mass arm), eliminates any vibration, based on the undivided masses. Thus, this configuration guarantees a better rotational acceleration and therefore, optimised winding.
This CVS-6510-YC calibre is sublimated by a titanium rigidity bridge, presently an essential feature of the Sealiner collection, made of a teak wood marquetry and inspired by the decks of the most beautiful boats.
Water-resistant to 100 metres, the barrel-shaped casing, designed in 5N gold, blue PVD-treated steel, or crimped, is worn on a blue or white rubber strap which is fastened with a double-pressure buckle. However, other combinations are available based on the use of refined alligator leathers.
CHALLENGE Case, Tonneau, 53.70mm X 41mm.
CHALLENGE GT Case, Tonneau, 59mm X 45 mm
Materials: Steel, Blue Steel or 5N Rose Gold
Backcase: open sapphire crystal
Crystal: anti-reflective sapphire crystal
Water-resistance: 100 metres (10ATM)
Screws: grade 5 titanium screws, polished or 5N pink gold, exclusive CVSTOS
Crown: grained, disengageable and fastened with titanium grade 5-polished or 5N pink gold screws, insert nitrile (NBR®)
Metal dial, satin-polished and Geneva coast, blue PVD and 5N gold finish.
Index Super-LumiNova finish
Hands openwork, chrome or gold and Super-Luminova finish
Skeletonised CVSTOS CVS-6510-YC automatic winding movement
Hours, minutes, seconds, perpetual calendar and indication of tidal flow
Power reserve: min. 42 hours
Frequency: 28800 vibrations / hour
Rubber (nitrile – NBR®) alligator leather