Match racing is a particular form of regatta. It is about a confrontation of equals on water of boat against boat. A regatta takes place in a closed circuit delimited by buoys: the competitors must get around them and in the direction defined by the committee of the course.
Effective since 1930s, in modern match racing, the circuit is raced with identical “classes” boats (identical shapes). One major element in the modern racing is the pre-departure. These pre-departures are determined by countdowns either of 5’or 10’or even of 15’ before the beginning of the race with the objective which of being better positioned over the competitor at the sound of the canon.
Thanks to America’s Cup, the match racing became popular. The match held over two laps over a circuit called wet “banana” orientated at the axis of the wind: a pre departure phase before the starting signal; after an stretch upwind, followed by a descent downwind during which a flag is hoisted, a second ascent and descent after which a second flag is held to finally cross the finish line. One match usually lasts between fifteen to thirty minutes.
Progress of the pre-departure phase
– Normally in a regatta a 5’ (five minutes) before the departure an initial audio signal is heard and the first (coloured) flag is hoisted.
– Then, four minutes before the beginning a second audio sign is heard, indicating the remaining time before the departure and a second flag is hoisted.
– After hoisting the two flags and finally sounding the canon for departure the race begins.
Swiss luxury watch brand CVSTOS has developed a chronograph specifically for this sport, endowed with at 12 o’clock:
- Intuitive countdown indicator (pre-departures) overlaid on the minute counter.
- 5 openings in shaped in sectors, showing the different countdown phases
- After triggering the chronograph function, the first sector will indicate the passing of the first minute.
- Animated by a 3 coloured disc, which define the different pre-departure cycles (five minutes per zone) preceding the definitive departure of the regatta.
- Chronograph hand of linear seconds, painted in red, at the centre indicates, in an imposing way, the last 5 seconds before hauling down the spinnaker before the cannon is shot signaling the beginning of the “Match Race”.
Model: SEA-LINER CHRONO REGATA
CHALLENGE case Tonneau-shaped, 53.70mm X 41mm in Black PVD Steel with titanium or 5N components
Caseback: Open with sapphire crystal.
Crystal: Sapphire, none-reflecting coating 2 faces.
Water-resistance: 100 meters
Screws: Polished titanium grade 5 or 5N Red gold. Exclusive CVSTOS TECHNOLOGY pattern
Crown: Screw-down, polished titanium grade 5 or 5N Red Gold, Nitril insert.
Teak wood base. Metallic structure
Exclusive CVSTOS TECHNOLOGY design
Indexes: Super-Luminova treated
Hands: Pierced, chromed and Super-Luminova treated
Calibre CVSTOS 577 Automatic chronograph
Power-reserve: 42 hours
Rotor: Exclusive CVSTOS TUNGSTEN 88 & TITANIUM TECHNOLOGY alloy
Frequency: 28,800 vibrations per hour
Chronograph, power-reserve indicator, date, 5mn countdown