Robert Loomes & Co – English Style Mechanical Watches Manufactured in Stamford

Robert Loomes & Co is a traditional English watch atelier which produces exclusive mechanical wristwatches completely hand built in Britain. A small, yet skilled team of watchmakers and specialist craftsmen led by Robert Loomes FBHI and Robina Hill FRSA undertake majority of the works in-house to produce limited, numbered editions of classic English watches in which every single component is made in Britain.

Based in Stamford, half way between London and York on the old Great North Road, Robert Loomes & Co re-invents the 17th century English horology by utilising traditional watchmaking techniques. Its founder, Robert Loomes, who is also the vice chairman of the British Horological Institute, belongs to a business family associated with traditional horology since long time. His father, Brian Loomes, HonFBHI was a well-known technical author who has written numerous books on clock and watchmaking.

Robert takes inspiration from legendary master watchmakers who lived in England, especially the eminent seventeenth-century watchmaker Thomas Loomes. In 2009, Robert Loomes started to manufacturing of their extraordinary watches in batches of 100, using as many British components as possible but defaulting to foreign components where necessary.

Flagship collection of the brand is comprised of two lines: Robin for Gentlemen and Robina for ladies. All these timepieces are handmade to order and available in variety of strap versions.

The Robin
The Robin watch collection for men offers two models: The Red Robin and The White Robin. Produced in a limited edition of 50 pieces, the Red Robin comes in an 18 carat red gold case whereas the White Robin, which is limited to 100 pieces, features classic Sheffield stainless steel case.

The White Robin

Featuring a classic 2 handed design and a dressed in a case measuring 39mm diameter, the Robin watch is a superb example of an elegant dress watch. Inside each Robin watch beats a legendary mechanical watch movement made by Smiths in 1950s in England. These antique movements have to undergo a complete rejuvenation and finishing works in Robert Loomes & Co workshop before integrating into the timepiece. The highly polished movement with engravings echoes those mechanical beating hearts employed by Thomas Loomes in his traditional English watches manufactured in 17th century. The screw heads are hand-polished and blued to obtain a crisp, dark contrast against the 22 carat gold plated movement plates. The movement beats at the rate of 18,800 vph makes the timepiece more traditional. The rhodium plating on the movement ensures protection and long life for the micro-mechanical marvels.

The watch cases are machined and polished using traditional techniques in Robert Loomes & Co workshop in Stamford. The brand cuts and polishes its own sapphire crystals. There are two types of dials are used in Robert Loomes & Co watches: Metal dial and glass enamel dial. These dials are machined in house at Stamford workshop of the brand. The red gold version of Robin watch features metal dial with a traditional frosted finish whereas as the White Robin hand-made glass enamel dial. Watch straps are available in a variety of colours and styles.

The Robina
Especially designed for ladies, the Robina watch is a meticulously crafted, feminine interpretation of the Robin watch. Featuring a 30mm case with 9mm thickness, this elegant lady watch shares all the attributes of the Robin but in a sophisticated and elegant form suited to more delicate wrists. Like the robin watch, Robina is available in two versions: The Red Robina (limited edition of 100 pieces in 18 carat red gold case and metal dial) & the White Robina (limited edition of 100 pieces in stainless steel case and white enamel dial).

The Red Robina

The Stamford Original
In 2016, at Salon QP luxury watch fair in London, Loomes unveiled a new mechanical timepiece, the Stamford Original. Equipped with a new 100% British movement, this exceptional creation proudly carries a touch of Scottish gold in each watch.

Stamford Original

Almost 80% of the components of this watch were manufactured in-house, with the other 20% being made by companies within a 100 mile radius – including the leather strap which is made locally by a leather works who supply the London Haute Couture labels. The watch, cased in either 18ct white or yellow gold, is priced at £28,500.

Contact details
Robert Loomes & Co.
4 St Mary’s Hill
Lincolnshire PE9 2DP

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.