The brand has announced both a new GoS movement collaboration and the updated specification of the first bicolor GoS watch, Nordic Seasons – Gold. GoS has an agreement with Technotime, of La Chaux-de-Fonds, to use their COSC calibers as a basis for future GoS movements.
Nordic Seasons – Gold will be the first GoS model to be fitted with the new GoS damascus steel movement, which is based on the manually wound TT718. This movement beats at 4Hz (28,800) and has a double barrel to provide the long power reserve of 120 hours, or five days. GoS will modify the movements by manufacturing and finishing damascus steel bridges from Johan Gustafsson’s hand forged Damascus steel.
The Nordic Seasons case is designed to provide reflections between the two different materials. The reflections of red gold onto the polished damascus steel is striking and the Swedish red gold is a perfect companion to the natural contrasts of the hand forged damascus steel. The dial is manufactured from two different Swedish tool steels that are forged together and folded to reach a total of 192 layers before Johan Gustafsson applies his trademark techniques to create the wildflower pattern. Given the nature of damascus steel, every Nordic Season – Gold is a unique piece and is numbered in production sequence.
Patrik Sjögren receives the dial and other damascus steel parts for machining and further work in the GoS workshop where also the hands and dial details in gold are made by hand. GoS has improved upon the finishing of the damascus steel movement parts in comparison to the previous GoS models to provide more contrasts. The bridges are made from one solid piece of woodgrain patterned damascus steel and Patrik’s goal with the finishing is to optimize the contrasts within the pattern itself and also between the seemingly raw steel and the high gloss polished bevels and holes.
File worked crown
File work is used by the most skilled knife makers to enhance their work and a knife with handmade file work transcends the tool from a utility to functional art. The first two GoS watches manufactured in 2008 had file work applied to the Titanium case back. GoS decided to re-introduce this technique to the watches by applying it to the damascus steel crown. The numbers three and nine are both significant numbers in Norse mythology, which is why we designed the pattern to consist of nine indentations on each side. The file work not only adds new details and reflections but also improves the grip.
Watch series – Nordic Seasons – Gold
● Case: 18K red gold and stainless damascus steel 43mmx10mm (5ATM)
● Lug width: 22mm
● Glass: Flat sapphire glass with double sided AR coating
● Movement: GoS damascus steel caliber based on Technotime TT718 and manufactured to COSC specifications. Bridges manufactured in Sweden from one piece of hand forged damascus steel that has a woodgrain pattern. The movement has a center second hand and ticks at 4Hz (28,800) with a 120 hour power reserve.
● Dial: 192 layered steel Damascus steel with a wildflower pattern
● Index ring/rehaut: Solid 18K red gold, shaped and polished by hand, GoS triskele symbol in 18K red gold fitted on dial
● Hands: Solid 18K red gold shaped and polished by hand
● Crown: 9mm in finegrained stainless damascus stainless steel, fileworked edge, double gasket crown inset
● Case finishing: Stainless damascus steel, high gloss polished with GoS logo engraved on case side
● Strap: Handcrafted soft nubuck leather (optional Crocodile strap), fitted with GoS gold buckle
● Every watch engraved with its production number
● Five year guarantee
● individually crafted box in svepask technique of birch wood
● Colored with natural pigments mixed in linseed oil
● Covered with high grade natural wax and polished to a deep finish
Production starts in April 2015