Unveiled at SIHH 2014, the RM 35-01 Rafael Nadal timepiece is made with NTPT® carbon, an exclusive material with a unique appearance. It houses manual winding skeletonised movement, which comes with many innovative features as follows:-
- Baseplate Bridges and Balance Cock Made in Grade 5 Titanium: The manufacture of these components in grade 5 titanium with black PVD treatment allows the whole assembly to be given great rigidity, as well as precise surface flatness, essential for the perfect functioning of the gear train. The skeletonised baseplate and the bridges have been subjected to intensive and complete validation tests in order to optimize their stress resistance.
- Free Sprung Balance with Variable Inertia: Guarantees greater reliability when subjected to shock and also during movement assembly and disassembly, hence better chronometric results over time. The regulator index has been eliminated, thus guaranteeing a more accurate and repeatable adjustment is possible thanks to 4 small adjustable weights located directly on the balance.
- Double Barrel System: The double barrel system contributes to the torque stability over a longer period. This is achieved by dispersing the stored energy within two winding barrels, equalizing torque as well as reducing friction on the bearings and pivots resulting in improved long-term performance.
- Spline Screws in Grade 5 Titanium for the Bridges: This permits better control of the torque applied to the screws during assembly. These screws are therefore unaffected by physical manipulation during assembly or disassembly and age well.
CALIBER RMUL3: manual winding skeletonised movement with hours, minutes, seconds. Power reserve: Circa 55 hours (±10%)
Movement dimensions: 30.25 x 28.45 mm
– Thickness: 3.15 mm
– Jewels: 24
– Barrel arbor– in AP 20 steel – Balance: Glucydur, 2 arms and 4 setting screws, inertia moment 4.8 mg cm , angle of lift 53° – Frequency: 28’800 vph (4 Hz) – Balance spring: ELINVAR – Shock protection: Incabloc 908.22.211.100 (transparent)
– Escapement wheel jewels: Rubifix (transparent)
– Stem with two positions: manual winding and time setting
CASE MADE IN NTPT® CARBON
NTPT® carbon is an exclusive material with a unique appearance. Its remarkable surface displays extremely regular undulations, as NTPT® carbon is composed of multiple layers of parallel filaments obtained by dividing carbon fibers. These layers, with a maximum thickness of 30 microns, are impregnated with resin then woven on a special machine that modifies the direction of the weft by 45° between layers. Heated to 120°C at a pressure of 6 bars, the NTPT® is then ready to be processed on a CNC machine in Richard Mille’s Proart case factory.
When compared to composite materials, whose exceptional physical properties are already well known, NTPT® carbon improves the rate of occurrence of breaking stresses by 25% and of micro cracks by 200%. The case of the RM 35-01 is water resistant to 50 meters, ensured by two Nitril O-ring seals. The case is assembled with 20 spline screws in grade 5 titanium and abrasion resistant washers in 316L stainless steel. Dimensions: 49.94 x 42.00 x 14.05 mm.
In NTPT® carbon with O ring seal in Alcryn
Spline Screws in Grade 5 Titanium for the Case
This permits better control of the torque applied to the screws during assembly. These screws are therefore unaffected by physical manipulation during assembly or disassembly and age well.
Upper flange in black carbon fiber, the hours index points filled with approved luminous material.
Bezel side: in sapphire (1,800 Vickers) with anti-glare treatment (both sides)
Thickness: 1.50 mm
– Baseplate wet sandblasted grade 5 titanium, PVD treated and hand-drawn after treatment
– Bridges in hand-ground grade 5 titanium, wet sandblasted and Titalyt® treated
– Locking sections hand polished
– Burnished pivots
– Pinions with undercuts
– Sandblasted and rhodium-plating, beveled wheels (before cutting the teeth)
– Minimum corrections applied to the wheels in order to preserve geometry and performance
– Screw slot and screw beveled and polished with rounded and polished tip – Straight line grain finish of the upper surface – Lower surfaces microblasted – Hand-polished sinks