Seiko Watch Corporation expands its Astron Solar GPS collection by introducing six new models inspired by the Stratosphere above the earth.
The first Seiko Astron Solar GPS watch collection was introduced in 2012. Thanks to an ultra-low consumption GPS module, Astron adjusts to 39 time zones across the globe utilising the GPS network. It has a solar powered movement so that using just the power of light it can carry out the multitude of functionalities.
Seiko Astron Solar GPS New Design Series
The new Astron Solar GPS watch models have a bold, domed sapphire glass, representing the curvature of our planet and the stratosphere that surrounds it. The new references joining this year are SAS031, SAS032, SAS033, SAS035, SAS037 and SAS038. All of them feature 48.1 mm diameter cases and the Solar GPS Caliber 7X52.
SAS031, SAS037 and SAS038 models have stainless steel cases. The Astron Solar GPS SAS032 watch features a rose-gold toned hard-coated steel case while SAS033 and SAS035 come with black hard-coated steel cases.
The sapphire crystal glass on the new Astron watch has a smooth, curved surface. The light from the luminous paint underneath the glass creates a sense of the earth’s atmosphere through the sapphire. The spherical surface extends from the glass to the case and to the silicon band, creating the overall illusion that the watch is like the Earth moving through space.
The time displayed by Astron comes from the UTC signal sent out from the atomic clocks in each GPS satellite. The design of the dial expresses this visually, by showing the time as if one were viewing a globe from above the north pole, with the city codes and their offset times aligned with the map.
The city codes are easy to read in a bold font along the edge of the dial ring through the curved sapphire glass.
Depending upon the version, the new Seiko Astron Solar GPS watches come with silicone or crocodile strap.
Model: Seiko Astron Solar GPS Stratosphere
- SAS031: Stainless steel case, black dial, and silicone strap
- SAS032: Rose gold toned steel case, black dial, and silicone strap
- SAS033/ SBXA033*: Black hard coated steel case, crown and push buttons, black dial with blue indexes, and silicone strap
- SAS035/ SBXA035*: Black hard coated steel case, crown and push buttons, black dial with orange indexes, and silicone strap
- SAS037/ SBXA037*: Stainless steel case, black dial, and black crocodile strap
- SAS038/ SBXA038*: Stainless steel case, black dial with gold-toned hands and indexes, gold-toned crown and push buttons, and dark grey crocodile strap, master shop limited model
GPS controlled time and time zone adjustment
Hour, minute and second hands, date calendar
Perpetual calendar correct to February 2100
Signal reception result indication
World time function (39 Time Zones)
Daylight saving time function
Power saving function
Accuracy: +/-15 seconds per month (without receiving a time signal and at temperatures between 5℃and 35℃)
Diameter: 48.1 mm
Screw-down crown and screw case back
Water resistance: 10 bar
Magnetic resistance: 4,800 A/m
- Stainless steel (SAS031, 037,038)
- Stainless steel with pink gold-color hard coating (SAS032)
- Stainless steel with black hard coating (SAS033, 035)
Extra-strength silicone with three-fold clasp with push button release (SAS031, 032,033,035)
Crocodile strap with three-fold clasp with push button release (SAS037, 038)
Dual curve box shaped sapphire crystal with anti-reflection coating on inner surface
Approximate recommended retail prices in Europe
Euro 2,300 (SAS031), Euro 2,350 (SAS033, 035, 037) and Euro 2,400 (SAS034, 038)
* JDM reference numbers