The brand new model Spirit Mark 2 sees Peter Speake-Marin revisiting the popular Spirit Pioneer and redesign it from the ground up. The Mark 2 retains the distinctive identity of the Pioneer, but has a new movement, dial and case. What remains the same is the message that Spirit conveys.
True to its name, the Spirit Mark 2 retains the Pioneer’s rousing – and resonant – call to action through the inspirational motto “Fight, Love & Persevere” engraved on the case-back. The Spirit Mark 2 is available in a 42mm, stainless steel case and features a highly legible, three dimensional one piece dial; slim Piccadilly case; automatic movement with five day power reserve and inspirational case back engraving.
The Spirit Mark 2’s three-dimensional, one-piece dial features refined numerals and hour markers in white Super-LumiNova that contrasts superbly against the light-absorbing matte black. The resulting indications are eminently legible and present a fresh, clean sophistication.
The dial is as demanding to produce as an enamel dial, involving a cutting-edge technique. The first step is to create a three-dimensional mould of the multi-level dial elements including hour and minute markers, numerals, railroad chapter ring, Speake-Marin logo and topping-tool motif, as well as the Spirit title.
This ‘male’ mould is used to make a negative, or ‘female’, mould in which lacquer and Super-LumiNova masks are successively applied, ensuring the right materials and colours are in the correct places. When set, the one-piece dial face is removed from the mould and bonded to a traditional dial plate.
The Spirit Mark 2 has a far longer power reserve than the Pioneer – five days – thanks to a new unidirectional, automatic-winding movement. The dial of the Spirit Mark 2 is beautifully framed by a hand finished circular grained bezel. This finishing enhances the casual, contemporary style for which the Spirit has become known, as does the slim 42mm stainless steel case.
The case-back is solid and slightly domed – a combination that provides considerable strength and protection for the movement within.
On the case-back, the centrally engraved Speake-Marin ‘topping tool’ motif catches the eye. However, it is the engraved inspirational rallying cry – “Fight, Love & Persevere” – that steals the attention, upholds the Spirit’s name and confirms its credentials as the perfect talisman.
Model: Speake Marin Spirit Mark 2
Features and Indications
• High-legibility, three-dimensional one-piece dial
• Central hours, minutes and seconds
• Case-back engraved motto “Fight, Love and Persevere”
• Automatic movement with long, five-day power reserve
Dial and Hands
• Numerals, hour and minute markers, railroad chapter ring, Speake-Marin name, topping tool motif and Spirit title all in white Super-LumiNova moulded as part of one-piece dial with matte black base
• Foundation central hour and minute hands in white lacquer, hand-filled with white Super-LumiNova
• White lacquered central second hand
• Calibre TT738
• Unidirectional automatic-winding mechanical movement
• Dimensions: 30.40mm x 4.35mm
• Power reserve: 120 hours
• Jewels: 35
• Twin barrels
• Frequency: 28,800vph / 4Hz
Case and strap
• Piccadilly three-piece case
• Diameter: 42mm
• Height: 12mm
• Material: Stainless steel
• Water resistance: 3 atm/30m/100’
• Front sapphire crystal treated with multi-layer anti-reflective coatings
• Domed compression case back with central Speake-Marin topping-tool engraving
• “Speake-Marin” engraved on case-back above topping-tool motif
• “Fight, Love & Persevere” motto engraved on the case back below topping-tool motif
• Red-brown calf leather strap with contrasting white stitching and stainless steel tang buckle