Combining a beautiful, oven-fired enamel dial that will keep its youthful freshness for centuries with the iconic design of the Speake-Marin Piccadilly case, Resilience is an enduring creation that will well and truly stand the test of time. The pure, bright white of the enamel dial sets off the blued-steel hands and refined Roman numerals, while the slim Piccadilly case in stainless steel or 18K red gold houses Resilience’s automatic winding Eros 2 calibre with five-day power reserve.
After graduating as a watchmaker in London and then furthering his knowledge of complications at WOSTEP in Switzerland, Peter Speake-Marin returned to London where he worked for a prestigious restoration house in Piccadilly for seven years, restoring vintage timepieces by great master watchmakers of the past. For Peter, this experience in the English capital proved to be an invaluable horological learning curve. Resilience’s enamel dial is made using the same techniques that have been employed in watch and clockmaking for centuries, which will ensure that, short of being physically damaged, the dial will never tarnish or change appearance, forever retaining its beauty.
Both sides of the copper dial base are enamelled to ensure an even tension within the construction of the material. Enamel powder is applied manually and placed in the oven at temperatures exceeding 800°C to melt into an even coating on the surfaces of the copper. This is repeated five times to gradually build up an even surface of enamel. Before a final polishing stage, the Roman numerals are printed in black enamel, the melting point of which is lower than the white so the two colours do not run together. These numerals are highly legible yet manage to avoid dominating the dial – a subtle but significant detail that helps to showcase the brilliance of the white enamel.
Adding to the unique aesthetics that make a Speake-Marin timepiece so originally distinctive are the heat-blued hands as well as a small blued steel screw below the centre of Resilience’s dial towards 6 o’clock. These features derive from the Foundation Watch, the first ever timepiece to bear the Speake- Marin name.
Resilience is available with either a casual, stainless steel or a sophisticated, red gold Piccadilly case with characteristic pleated crown and screwed lugs. At first glance the three-piece case appears similar to the original Piccadilly that Peter Speake-Marin developed over a decade ago, but on closer inspection it can be seen that this case is much slimmer – just 12mm in height and 38mm or 42mm in diameter – an elegant design made possible by the new Eros 2 calibre.
The new Eros 2 calibre is an automatic winding movement and features a long, five-day power reserve and the signature Speake-Marin ‘mystery’ rotor. The large-diameter, circular-grained movement dominates the view through the display-back and provides a technical backdrop for the beautifully finished rotor.
Resilience is available in 38mm or 42mm with either a stainless steel or 18K red gold case.
Features and indications
• Central hours, minutes and seconds
• Oven-fired, white enamel dial
• Automatic-winding Eros 2 movement with five-day power reserve
• Slim three-piece Piccadilly case
Dial and Hands
• Oven-fired, white enamel dial
• Central Speake-Marin signature Foundation-style hands in heat blued steel, indicating hours, minutes and seconds
• Calibre Eros 2, automatic-winding mechanical movement
• Dimensions: 30.40mm x 4.35mm
• Power reserve: 120 hours
• Jewels: 35
• Twin barrels
• Frequency: 28,800vph / 4Hz
• Speake-Marin signature ‘topping tool’ mystery winding rotor
• Hand-finished bridges and rotor
Case and strap
• Iconic Piccadilly case in either stainless steel or 18K red gold
• Three-piece case construction
• Two-position crown: Manual winding and stop-second time setting
• Dimensions: 38mm or 42mm x 12mm
• Front and display-back sapphire crystals treated with anti-reflective coating
• Case-back circumference engraving: “Speake-Marin – The Piccadilly”
• Water resistance: 3atm/30m/100ft
• Hand-made, natural alligator leather strap
• Pin buckle in stainless steel or 18K red gold to match case material