Swiss watch company, Oris, pays homage to the Polish team who won the 1932 Challenge with the introduction of the Oris Challenge International de Tourisme 1932 Limited Edition Watch.
The Challenge International de Tourisme was the third FAI (Fédération Aéronautique Internationale) tourist plane contest that took place between 12th and 28th August 1932, in Berlin, Germany. A fearsome challenge, the contest consisted of three parts: technical trials, a rally round Europe and a maximum speed test with at least two passengers required on board at all times. A Polish victory by pilot Franciszek Żwirko and his mechanic Stanisław Wigura was the result of not only their aviation skills but the technical design of their RWD-6 aircraft. Their win secured their place in Polish history, becoming national heroes for their effort.
The series showcases the Big Crown casing with a coin edge top ring which is synonymous amongst watch enthusiasts. Iconic in the World of Aviation, as a tribute to start No. 6 of the Polish plane the counter weight of the central second hand shows the No. 6.
Limited to 1932 pieces, the Oris Challenge International de Tourisme 1932 is fittingly presented in a beautiful box with a certificate and Zippo Lighter; another icon which was founded in 1932. A unique set, which symbolizes an outstanding Polish achievement cemented in Aviation history.
Oris Challenge International de Tourisme 1932
Ref. No. 733 7669 4084-Set, Ø 44 mm
Limited to 1932 pieces
• Automatic movement SW 200, 28’800 A/h, 4 Hz, 26 Jewels, power reserve 38 hours.
• Stainless steel case with double curved sapphire crystal with non reflective coating on the inside, water resistant to 10 bar / 100m
• Stainless steel screw down crown
• Case back with engraved limitation number (0001/1932 to 1932/1932), a silhouette of the famous airplane and a special grinding, reflecting the grinding on the engine and on the running gear cover.
• Black dial with applied polished numerals and polished Nickel hands with Superluminova inlay and second hand with number 6 as counter weight.
• Dark brown leather strap with stainless steel buckle.
• Set with special box, Zippo lighter and certificate.
• Swiss Retail Price CHF 1’600.-