Christian Redl, extreme free-diver and holder of the world record for diving under ice with a depth of 200 feet, has decided to test his limits once again. Placing his fantastic experience of extreme free-diving at the service of science, Christian Redl has joined the Gokyo project, which will reach its culmination from 6 to 27 October 2012.
The six 203 feet depth Gokyo Lakes a sacred shrine of both Hindu and Buddhist philosophy are situated in Nepal at an altitude of between 15’400 and 16’900 feet and are the world’s highest freshwater lake system.
Here in October, the conditions will be extreme, as everywhere in the Himalayas. The cold, wind and snow, water temperature and altitude become life-threatening challenges. With barely 14% of oxygen in the air the blood thickens, cutting off the supply to the body’s vital functions.
At this altitude, walking and ascending summits become superhuman tasks. Free-diving will therefore be a gigantic challenge that Christian Redl will have to overcome in this experiment where pulmonary oedema would prove fatal.
Planning every detail, undergoing rigorous training and supported by a team of experienced scientists, he will subject himself to real-life tests to evaluate the transformation of his metabolism during free dives at this high altitude.
More than ever, Christian Redl needs a diver’s working tool to achieve success in his Gokyo project. The new Iceman II Limited Edition gives him reliability and technical prowess, as well as a modern and sporty design. Edox stands by Christian Redl for this new impressive and fascinating world record attempt.
Model: EDOX Iceman II Limited Edition
- Functions: Display of hours, minutes, seconds, day and date, chronograph.
- Calibre: Edox 103, based on Ronda 5021.D
- Diameter: 45mm
- Case material and finishes: 316L stainless steel, black PVD coating
- Bezel: black ceramic, red numerals and markings
- Water resistance: 1000 meters / 100 ATM / 3000 feet
- Dial: Deep sea black with red markings
- Crystal: scratch-proof and glare-proof sapphire crystal
- Strap: structured black rubber, 316L stainless steel buckle, engraved Edox logo
- Limited Edition: 203 pieces worldwide (Gokyo Lakes have a depth of 203 feet)