STOWA Flieger Chrono features a minimalistic pilot watch design adopted by Jörg Schauer & his STOWA team. They omitted the small second dial and date display in order to highlight the simplicity and the chronograph functions.
As for chronographs, the permanent second dial really only indicates whether or not the watch is running; otherwise it often interferes with visual appearance or needs to be integrated in the design with some minor flaws. Only very few watchmakers manage to include the dial of the permanent second nicely or to even highlight its position on the major dial. When designing the pilot chrono, Schauer realized that the integration of the small second dial would only lead to compromises concerning clarity of the typography, and therefore he dropped the idea altogether. Of course, the chrono is equipped with the blued steel hands featured by all STOWA pilot watches.
The luminous hour, minute and numeral markers make reading easier, especially in the dark. The hand-matted stainless steel case has a glass caseback exhibiting the automatic Valjoux 7753 chronograph movement. As it is common in all STOWA watches, premium sapphire crystal protects the dial and the caseback. The diameter of the watch is 41 mm and it is available with different leather straps.
- Case: Stainless steel, matt finished, Ø: 41 mm, height 14,7 mm, strap size 22 mm, front sapphire crystal domed, back sapphire crystal flat, 5 ATM
- Movement: Valjoux 7753 automatic movement, power reserve min. 40 hours, with golden STOWA engraving on rotor
- Dial: black matt, white printed, Superluminova C3
- Hands: Temperature-blued steel, Superluminova C3
- Strap: Leather strap or in old style brown or black, Flieger Original
- Launched in 2011.