In 2012, Swiss luxury watch maker Maurice Lacroix is introducing a new pink gold version of the incredible Masterpiece Roue Carrée Seconde model from the brand’s flag ship Masterpiece Collection. In 2010, Maurice Lacroix revolutionized the mechanics of time by designing a square gear wheel –a first in watchmaking history which, beyond its aesthetic value, inaugurated a new way of charting the onward march of time.
In 2011, the Maurice Lacroix square wheel offered new angle on time’s course with its focus on the seconds hand. This year, the Masterpiece Roue Carrée Seconde has been adorned with pink gold in order to highlight the exclusivity of its display mechanism.
Fashioned in pink gold, the unique square wheel display mechanism is set against the backdrop of a brown-black bottom plate. The striking contrast accentuates the hypnotic effect of its angular journey and the geometrical interplay of its lines and curves. The small seconds display comes to life before our eyes with the lively and rhythmic pace of the perforated square wheel, itself driven by a second clover-shaped wheel. With corners and edges that fit together as precisely as their circular counterparts, the two gears rotate continuously to produce a highly dynamic visual effect and remind us that time never varies in its onward journey.
The hours, minutes and power reserve are engraved directly on the plate of the movement and worked in gold. The 46 mm diameter steel case affords time a generous arena in which to express itself with characteristic boldness. The alternating satin and polished finishes highlight the forms.
A large sapphire crystal case back reveals the mechanical ML156 movement, decorated with Grand Colimaçon in the purest Swiss watchmaking tradition. Designed by engineer watchmaker Michel Vermot in collaboration with the Haute Ecole Arc du Locle, the square wheel mechanism took years of development.
Model: Masterpiece Roue Carrée Seconde Pink Gold, limited edition 88 pieces
Movement Bridge / dial
– In line with the Masterpiece Roue Carrée Seconde design, the dial has been created on the movement main plate itself, and decorated with a large “Grand Colimaçon” finished in brown
– The square wheel and cloverleaf mesh transfer power with the same precision as the cogs in their circular counterparts; in addition the wheel is used to indicate the seconds
– The hours and power reserve indication are engraved on the brown main plate
– The square wheel and clover leaf are highlighted through a circular opening on the movement main plate itself, decorated with a sandblasted background and white printed second indications
– Pink gold, Ø 43 mm, satin and polished finishing
– Domed sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating on both sides
– Screwed case back with wide sapphire crystal
– Water-resistant to 50m/5 atm
Movement wheel indicators / hands
– Trailing square wheel for the seconds display, satin-finished upper part and polished circumference, two tones execution in rhodium and pink gold plating (including clover-leaf), seconds pointer with luminescent coating (blue emission)
– No rotation axis visible
– Stamped hours and minutes hands with diamond-cut head in the pure tradition of hands making
– Stick hand for power-reserve
Strap / Bracelet
Matt brown crocodile-skin strap (lined with black calfskin and brown over-stitching)
Buckle: 18K pink gold standard buckle
ML 156 mechanical movement, hand wound
Developed in collaboration with the HE-ARC watch-maker engineering school in Le Locle, manufactured and assembled by Maurice Lacroix
Design patented (square wheel/cloverleaf)
Vibration: 18’000 alt/h, 2.5 Hz
Power Reserve: 45 hours
Adjustments: 5 positions after full winding and after 24 hours
Decoration: Grand Colimaçon, rhodium coated finishing on backside, and brown on upside
Hours and minutes indicated by central hands
Small second display by square wheel at 6 o’clock
Power reserve at 3 o’clock
Total gold weight
With standard buckle: 68,1 g (18K)