Swiss luxury watch maker Zenith enhances its historical El Primero line with a new fashionable collection named Espada. This collection will be available in eight different models and all are three handed versions. Espada houses El primero calibre 4650 B and its is for the first time that a caliber from legendary El primero movements comes in a three-hand version that displays the hours, minutes, seconds and date.
Since 1969, the El primero model has symbolised the creative genius of the manufacture Zenith. It’s aptly chosen name, drawn from the Esperanto language and conveying a sense of universality and humanism, is firmly inscribed in the brand heritage and remains inseparably associated with a spirit of innovation. The new Espada line is the latest extension of this already rich history. Pure design, noble materials, exceptional mechanics and fine watchmaking: its DNA carries all the genes of the El primero collection. Inspired by an historical Zenith model, its name is associated with that of the El primero collection and its highly fashionable design already graced the first editions launched in the 1970s. Synonymous with comfort on the wrist, the shape of its case and strap as well as their mutual integration make this a remarkably ergonomic watch.
Designed in an almost academic manner making no concession to secondary details, its perfectly integrated movement combines a modest size with excellent reliability and precision: the position of each plate, each gear train and each part is optimised, and no less than 210 components drive its mechanical self-winding movement, El primero calibre 4650 B. Like all El primero calibres, it beats at the exceptional frequency of 10 vibrations per second or 36,000 vibrations per hour. It features a 30 mm diameter and a 50-hour power reserve.
Understatement is the keynote of the new Espada line. It is dedicated to reinterpreting elements that are already present in the stylistic heritage of the manufacture Zenith: round case, restrained dial, perfectly readable indications and pure lines 11 rhodiumed and faceted superluminova-treated hour-markers clearly indicating the hours and minutes are swept over by two perfectly distinct hands. the seconds hand with its Zenith star-symbol counterweight performs a steady and precise dance around the dial while the perfectly legible date window at 3 o’clock counts off the passing days. in harmony with essential watchmaking principles, a sapphire crystal provides admirable views from both sides of the dial. These aesthetic virtues are matched by the reliability of a dial that is water-resistant to 100 metres and fitted with a screw-locked crown.
A tribute to the past while looking firmly to the future, the Espada line affirms Zenith’s avowed taste for cultivating extreme precision in the measurement of time. While remaining loyal to its inspiration drawn from the 1970s models, the line is a resolutely contemporary version of the exceptional Zenith timepieces that made their mark on that era. Each of the eight models proclaims the poetic, timeless nature of their predecessors.
1. ESPADA IN STEEL, SILVER-TONED DIAL: The first model with its steel case is characterised by an eminently pure design. Its silvertoned dial echoes the modernity of the steel bracelet skilfully combining polished and brushed finishes. Inspired by the 1970s that have found their way unscathed through passing fashions, the watch is a signature statement on the wrist. it bears eloquent testimony to the cultural and technical heritage of Zenith, which has transformed the over 40 years of history of its El primero model into fertile ground for expressing the future.
2. ESPADA IN STEEL, BLACK DIAL: The second model is a timepiece with a powerful design distinguished by a contrasting black dial. the charm extends to the steel bracelet featuring a blend of polished and brushed finishes. The readability of the dial serves to focus attention on the essential indications: hours, minutes, seconds, date. The clarity of its read-off predestined this watch to become the faithful companion of the boldest daily lives.
3. ESPADA IN 18-CARAT ROSE GOLD AND STEEL, WHITE DIAL: While remaining true to the Espada philosophy, this 18-carat rose gold and steel model explores new horizons. it is distinguished by an original and elegant aesthetic. its bezel, crown and the central part of its bracelet in rose gold – matching the hands and hour-markers – ideally complement the steel clothing the case middle and outer bracelet links. Reflecting the genius of duality at the heart of a single timepiece, this model conveys the spirit, the aura, the heritage and the expertise of a brand dedicated to fine craftsmanship.
4. ESPADA IN 18-CARAT ROSE GOLD AND STEEL, BROWN DIAL: Without betraying its essence, this model in 18-carat rose gold and steel welcomes a brown dial. Radiating a sense of elegance and distinction, the watch proudly advocates the pleasure of wearing an exceptional creation embodying the quintessence of Swiss fine watchmaking. it constantly reinvents time by means of unique touches of refinement expressed through inimitable understatement and comfort on the wrist.
5. ESPADA IN 18-CARAT ROSE GOLD, ROSE GOLD BRACELET: Aesthetically speaking, the 18-carat rose gold model epitomises absolute purity. From the brown dial to the case and bracelet finely sculpted in 18-carat rose gold, the watch symbolises total refinement. the curving lug profile, the polished and brushed bracelet and the slender bezel are a paean of praise to this acknowledged ability to combine an exquisitely precious nature with impressive restraint.
6. ESPADA IN 18-CARAT ROSE GOLD, ALLIGATOR LEATHER STRAP: In harmony with the dynamic lines of the case, the brown alligator leather strap lends a modern touch to the 18-carat rose gold model. Reflecting the aesthetic of its forerunners, which continue to be much coveted collector’s items, it reflects their unique design and their spirit of unfailing reliability.
7. ESPADA IN 18-CARAT ROSE GOLD, DIAMOND-SET MOTHER-OF- PEARL DIAL: This model adorned with 11 baguette-cut diamonds set around the crown offers a blend of elegance and reliability. Its brown alligator leather strap prolongs the magic of the 18-carat rose gold case. The mother-of-pearl dial enhances this inherent refinement with its polished waves creating a shimmering effect and gracefully swept over by the hour, minute and seconds hands.
8. ESPADA IN GEMSET ROSE GOLD: This rose gold watch graced with gemset lugs and bezel is a paragon of harmony with its pure, clear-cut lines, subtle gemsetting (totalling 0.7 carats) and the perfection of its horological technical content. it displays a blend of distinction and elegance in punctuating time with the 22 diamonds adorning its refined hour-markers, while the date window at 3 o’clock reflects the passing days. its distinguished aura extends from the brown dial to the leather strap crafted in the same shade. for Zenith, refinement is first and foremost a state of mind.
El primero 4650 B, automatic
Caliber: 13¼“` (diameter: 30 mm)
Thickness: 5.58 mm
Frequency: 36’000 Vph – (5 hz)
Power reserve: min. 50 hours
Finishing: oscillating weight with “côtes de Genève” pattern.
Hours and minutes in the center
Central second hand
Date indicator at 3 o’clock
– 18-carat rose gold and stainless steel or stainless steel OR
– 18-carat rose gold with or without diamonds
Diameter: 40 mm
Diameter opening: 34.00 mm
Crystal: Box-shaped sapphire crystal with anti-reflection treatment on both sides
Case-back: transparent sapphire crystal
Water-resistance: 10 atm
– Black, brown, silver sunray or white OR
– Brown with or without diamonds or white mother-of-pearl with baguette diamonds
– Rhodium with superluminova sln c1, faceted (with or without gold plating) OR
– Gold-plated rhodium with superluminova sln c1, faceted or 11 baguette diamonds or round diamonds
– Rhodium with superluminova sln c1, faceted (with or without gold plating) OR
– Gold-plated rhodium with superluminova sln c1, faceted
Straps & Buckle
– Metal bracelets: bi-color bracelet( ref.: 27.86.2170.4650) or metal bracelet (ref.: 27.02.2170.4650) with stainless steel triple folding buckle OR
– Alligator leather strap with protective rubber lining or 18-carat rose gold bracelet: brown alligator leather: ref.: 27.00.2016.713 with 18-carat rose gold pin buckle: ref.: 27.18.0016.002 OR
18-carat rose gold bracelet: ref.: 27.17.2170.4650