In 2010, the BR 01 RADAR from Bell&Ross offered a new perception of time with a totally new method of reading it, inspired by an air traffic control instrument -the radar. In its continual quest for innovation and performance, Bell&Ross is offering in 2011 a new interpretation of its radar display, making it more analogous to the original instrument.
The BR 01 RED RADAR analog display is uncannily similar to radar on air traffic controls. Its graphics feature the sweeping effect of a light beam on an actual radar screen. This new version is once again upending traditional time-reading modes:
• The functions of the hands and the dial are merged onto the same plane. In their place, three independent concentric discs are marked with three red beams. Where these luminous beams with their gradually shaded color begin, the hours, minutes and seconds can be read as the eye is directed towards the center of the dial.
• In the red-tinted crystal, two graduated axes and index indicate the measurement of the time.
• The red on the dial and case’s anti-reflective matte black background mirrors the screens in air traffic control rooms: it also provides the striking contrast necessary for optimal readability.
Despite its apparent simplicity, the BR 01 RED RADAR is highly sophisticated. The technical challenge posed by its design and production required a concerted effort from the best watchmaking engineers.
• An adjustment to the nearest micron ensures that the discs are constantly parallel during rotation. The accuracy of the watch requires all the expertise of master watchmakers.
With the BR 01 RED RADAR, Bell&Ross has once again gone beyond the classic concept of reading time by referencing as much as possible the air traffic control screen display design.
- Movement: self-winding mechanical – ETA 2892. Disc display system.
- Functions: hours, minutes and seconds.
- Case: 46 mm diameter. Stainless steel, black PVD finish. Screw-in crown.
- Dial-Index: Radar screen display made up of three black concentric discs. The markings on the outside disc indicate the hours, the middle disc the minutes and the central disc the seconds.
- Crystal: red tinted mineral reinforced with a protective layer. Hour and minute graduation.
- Water-resistance: 100 meters.
- Straps: rubber and heavy-duty canvas.
- Limited edition 999 pieces