For ONLY WATCH 2011 Swiss watch brand TAG Heuer presents a special version of its MONACO Mikrograph 1/100th Of a Second Chronograph wristwatch. ONLY WATCH action is a charity event to benefit Duchenne muscular dystrophy research under the high patronage of His Serene Highness Prince Albert II of Monaco.
Presented in January 2011, the Mikrograph movement set a new milestone in “grandes complications”. Unlike a conventional chronograph, the time base is not dependant on the watch (hence the name “stopwatch”). Chronograph functions can be started or stopped independently of watch functions. The watch is automatically wound by means of a circular oscillating weight, and features a 42-hour power reserve.
As for the stopwatch, the balance wheel oscillates at 50 hertz, 360,000 vibrations per hour, with a 90-minute power reserve, and displays the 1/100th of a second with the central chronograph hand. Entirely designed, patented, developed and manufactured by TAG Heuer in La Chaux-de-Fonds, this innovation re-writes history in the field of high frequency movements.
Encased in the squared shape that caught the watchmaking world by storm in 1969, this unique high-energy timepiece now redefines angles with a round dial stretching to the boundaries of the case itself. The flying central hand indicates the 100th of a second. The design is unexpected: the hand’s round, open tip allows precise reading of the graduations, which are printed on a sapphire disc. The “/100” engraving is laser-cut by hand. The counter at 3 o’clock indicates chronograph minutes on a rotating disc with 3 hands, graduated 0 / 10 / 20. The counter at 9 o’clock features a small second, also on a rotating disc with 3 hands, graduated 0 / 20 / 40 to facilitate reading. The third subcounter at 6 o’clock indicates chronograph seconds. Fire-red touches on the hands are reminiscent of the original Monaco’s motor racing style. The power reserve is indicated at 12 o’clock.
The dial is a highly sophisticated multi-level design, alternating black lacquer and silver opaline finishes. Oversized screws on the dial evoke the engine of a sports car. A refined touch of black lacquer has been added to the oversized crown and chronograph pushbuttons. The black strap is in “Barenia”, the highest quality of calfskin leather, and the red color in the perforations echoes the fire-red hands of the dial.
The Monaco Mikrograph only watch will be presented in a unique watch box created by internationally acclaimed South African artist Paul du Toit. Paul du Toit’s superb watch box for the TAG Heuer Monaco Mikrograph is sure to add to the unique timepiece’s sale price at Only Watch auction.
The one-off Monaco Mikrograph and its special display box will tour the world from August 30th to September 17th, with exhibitions in Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo, Los Angeles, New York, Milan and Geneva. It will then be auctioned at the Only Watch event in Monaco on September 22, 2011. Proceeds of its sale will benefit Duchenne muscular dystrophy research.
TAG Heuer Mikrograph 1/100 th sec. – Manufacture movement – Automatic Chronograph (360,000 beats per hour) – COSC certified watch movement – Power Reserve – Date
• Anthracite and silver (Opalin Rhodium) dial:
– Minutes and hours in the center counter
– Small second counter at 9 o’clock
– Chronograph minutes counter at 3 o’clock
– Chronograph second counter at 6 o’clock
• Chronograph power reserve indicator at 12 o’clock
• Black titanium carbide coated hour and minute hands with luminescent markers
• Polished steel central 1/100th of a second chronograph hand with “1/100th“ laser cutting
• Red chronograph minute and second hands
• White small second hands
• White power reserve hand at 12 o’clock.
• Hand applied monochrome TAG Heuer logo
• Minuterie printed on smoked sapphire crystal circle
• Case size : 43mm
• Fine brushed and polished stainless steel case
• Double antireflective curved sapphire crystal
• Steel and black lacquer crown and push buttons
• Applied TAG Heuer logo on case side at 9’o clock
• Sapphire case back to allow direct view on the movement and “Only Watch 2011” engraving on the oscillating weight
• Water-resistance: 100 meters
• Black perforated Barenia calfskin leather strap with red-colored perforations
• Folding buckle with safety push-buttons