Hublot celebrates its association with legendary soccer club Manchester United by unveiling the third edition of King Power Red Devil. Featuring new technical details, and equipped with a new chronograph movement with two centre chrono hands providing better readability, the King Power Red Devil is a fine symbol of fusion and innovation, paying tribute to this most legendary of football clubs.
In tribute to one of the world’s most famous football clubs, for which it has been Official Timekeeper since 2008, Hublot has developed a King Power equipped for the first time with a chronograph movement distinguished by two centre chrono hands. This makes for better readability – quicker and more efficient. The wearer can keep track of both hands at a glance; the first indicates the seconds, and the other hand, specially developed for football, indicates the time elapsed out of the 45 mins in each half.
With a sapphire dial, the movement – here in an Aero Bang version – has also undergone new skeleton working, leaving it more open to reveal even more of the working parts of the watch and its fine mechanics. The topside retains only the material necessary for it to function. This is coated with black ruthenium for a beautiful overall effect of homogeneity, and clearer reading. Predominantly red, the minute track, a time counter at 9 o’clock and a date window at 4 o’clock round off the piece, stamped with the famous, slightly rebellious Red Devils emblem at 3 o’clock.
In a nod to Old Trafford’s more than one hundred year-old turf, the focus of all attention, the watch indexes come in a natural grass-green colour, obtained using real blades of grass from Old Trafford, picked and preserved especially by the club’s groundsmen for the making of this limited series. It took Hublot 6 months of development to stabilise the plant material and its original colour, including against UV and temperature differences. The freeze-dried blades of grass were inserted into the indexes through an all-new process, then coated with a special transparent lacquer to secure them permanently.
The King Power case – 48 mm in diameter, and here in micro-blasted black ceramic or in 18K King Gold – has been revamped. Its two push-buttons have been redesigned, and are now each protected by a little safety bar, which is completely built in either side of the crown. Moreover, in a final reference to the legendary club and bringing a last aesthetic touch to the piece, the black rubber strap has a red line in the centre, directly inspired by Manchester United’s graphic charter.
This limited edition is produced in 500 numbered pieces for the micro-blasted black ceramic version and in 250 pieces for the King Gold 18K version. Every watch is accompanied by a certificate guaranteeing its authenticity, signed personally by Sir Alex Ferguson.
Limited to 500 pieces for the micro-blasted version. Numbered from No. 01/500 to No. 500/500
Limited to 250 pieces for the King Gold 18K version. Numbered from No. 01/250 to No. 250/250
– “King Power”, diameter 48 mm
– Micro-blasted black ceramic or King Gold 18K
– Bezel Micro-blasted black ceramic or circular satin-finished ceramic with black rubber moulding
– 6 H-shaped relief black PVD titanium screws
– Crystal: Sapphire with interior/exterior anti-reflective treatment
– Bezel lug: Black composite resin
– Lateral inserts: Black composite resin with push-piece guard at 3 o’clock.
– Case-back: Micro-blasted black ceramic or circular satin-finished King Gold 18K
– Crown: Black PVD steel, with black rubber insert
– Push-piece: Black PVD steel with black and red rubber moulding
– Water resistance: 10 ATM or approximately 100 metres
– Sapphire, indexes made from grass from the hallowed turf of Manchester United’s Old Trafford stadium, date window at 4 o’clock, Red Devil logo at 3 o’clock.
– Hands: Satin-finished, black nickel with red luminescent coating
– HUB4245 skeleton chronograph with central 45’ counter
– Automatic self-winding
– Bridges: Micro-blasted & bevelled, with black galvanic coating
– Screws: Steel, polished & locked
– Oscillating weight: Monobloc in heavy metal with ceramic ball bearings
– Main plate Micro-blasted with black galvanic coating
– Barrel: With reinforced spring
– Escapement: Swiss lever escapement with silicon pallet fork and escapement wheel
– Power Reserve: 72 hours
Adjustable black rubber strap
Clasp: Black PVD titanium deployant buckle
Decorative plate: in micro-blasted black ceramic or King Gold 18K