This year, legendary Swiss watch brand Urban Jürgensen presents the world’s first wristwatch with a detent escapement. The new Chronometer P8 “with detent escapement” – adapted to the mechanical wristwatch – achieves a 40% better timing performance than the average COSC certified chronometer.
This new invention is the result of many years’ development work and a constant research and commitment. The long-held wish for a true UJS movement, with strong emphasis on precision, reliability and long intervals between servicing, has been addressed since 2003. In the 19th century, Urban Jürgensen & Sønner was the official chronometer maker to the Danish Royal Household and to the Admiralty.
The quality of the marine chronometers from the house of Jürgensen is still legendary among the collectors. In the past 25 years, in addition to individual, often complicated unique watches, the brand Urban Jürgensen & Sønner created wristwatches in small series from 50 up to a maximum of 300 examples. These watches were mainly based on ébauche movements from Frédéric Piguet, Le Brassus.
In order to close the loop from the past to modern times in an elegant and meaningful manner, development of a new movement and the chronometer escapement, suitable for use in a wristwatch, was undertaken. A particular problem was to ensure the necessary shockproof characteristics of the escapement. Having achieved this, the invention has been patented on a world-wide basis by Urban Jürgensen.
The fine engine-turned silver dials are produced in Urban Jürgensen & Sønner’s workshops. Each dial may require up to 700 operations. The typical two-piece cases are lathed and of highest standard, the middle part with double rounded profile and soldered drop-shaped lugs. The movements used to be the high quality F.Piguet calibres, upgraded by Urban Jürgensen. Today, the film is introducing his own calibre, a twin barrel movement with a patented 88 hours power-reserve indicator, either with a lever escapement or with the world’s first international patented detent escapement for wristwatches.
– A highly innovative movement solidly designed: reliably calculated, simulated and tested.
– The caliber with detent escapement have undergone a thorough testing phase at the laboratories of Chronofiable SA and the C.O.S.C. who demonstrated results higher 40% than establishes brands.
– The variable design principle allows various functions and complications (basic plate prepared for 36 references).
– Highest quality of industrial and horological finishing.
– Longer delays for after sales service (5 to 7 years). Can be repair by any qualified watchmaker.
– Escapement : 32 mm – Height: 5.25 mm
– Case : 42 mm diameter – height: 12mm
– Two barrels “in series”
– Power reserve indication – Eighty-eight hours power reserve
– 21600 vph (3 Hz)
– Large free-sprung balance, diameter 12 mm, 24g/cm²
– Stop second (hack feature)
– Optimized teeth shape to reduce friction