Arnold & Son, the legendary watchmaker famous for the marine timepieces made for Royal Navy in the 18th century, honours the discoveries of famous English explorer, Captain James Cook by launching a new set of timepieces named as : HORNET History Collection ‘JAMES COOK’ in 18K Pink Gold. Highlight of these timepieces are the scenes of three voyages of Captain James Cook around the world displayed on the dials.
The Landing at Botany Bay in Australia’ : 1ST Voyage 1768-1771 HMS Endeavour : Eastern Coastline of Autralia
– Transit of Venus across the sun – mapping of coastline of complete New Zealand, first recorded encountering of eastern coastline of Australia by a European – first recorded direct observation of indigenous Australians – collecting of local plants and specimens activities.
The Discovery of Antartica’: 2nd Voyage, 1772-1775 HMS Resolution and HMS Adventure
– Use of two Arnold’s Marine Chronometers – Proving ‘Terra Australis Incognita’ to be a myth – Exploration of coastline of Antartica, New Zealand, Australia – Cook invited a young Tahitian Omai as an additional member on his boat .
The Death in Hawai’: 3rd Voyage, 1776-1779 HMS Resolution and HMS Discovery
– First recorded encountering of Hawaii by a European – Investigation of the existence of the ‘Northwest Passage’ – Sailing along the coast of Alaska – End of voyage has determined on 14 February 1779 while James Cook was killed by a riot.
HORNET History Collection ‘JAMES COOK’ edition is limited to 25 sets of 3 timepieces and is presented in a luxury wooden box.
The timepieces feature a Swiss automatic and exclusive Arnold & Son movement, with following technical functions:-
– Second time zone 24 hours
– Additional time zone 24 hours with progressive setting for third time zone and half or quarter time zones
– Big date and month indicator
– Patented multi lead-hands system
– Hand-touch up paintings on the dials
Exclusive Arnold & Son mechanical movement, self-winding, 41 jewels, diameter 38.55 mm, thickness 7.05 mm, power reserve 42 h, 28’800 vibrations/h
Hours, minutes, multiple time zone display, mean solar time, big date display at 5 o’clock
Rhodium treated with fine circular graining and ‘Côtes de Genève
With hand-touch up painting
18-carat rose gold case, diameter 47 mm, cambered sapphire with antireflective coating on both sides, case back metallic sapphire, water-resistant to 50 m
Hand-stitched brown alligator leather
1H6AP.D05A.C60B: ‘The landing at Botany Bay’
1H6AP.D06A.C60B: ‘The discovery of Antarctica’
1H6AP.D07A.C60B: ‘The death in Hawaii’