Opened in 2007, the first Lange & Sohne “Home of Time” Boutique is located at Töpferstrasse 8, in Dresden, Germany. This boutique showcases a World of Lange on a smaller scale. This is a special place where time has a home and where visitors are invited to encounter the history and philosophy of A. Lange & Söhne.
The location of this Lange boutique has got some important historical connections with the brand, as this is where it all began: It was here that Ferdinand Adolph Lange used to be the home before he moved to Glashütte in 1845 to become the founder of precision watchmaking in Saxony.
It was here that he learnt his trade at the famous court watchmaker Johann Christian Friedrich Gutkaes. And it was here that he met his wife Antonia, the daughter of his master. That’s why only this location was considered for the world’s first Lange representation. This first exclusive embassy of A Lange & Sohne is located at a historic centre, close to the rebuilt Frauenkirche and the Neumarkt.
This neighbourhood has a special significance: In 1994, work was started to reconstruct Dresden’s Frauenkirche, the landmark that had been destroyed in the flames of World War II. In the same year, the first A. Lange & Söhne collection of the new era was presented at the Royal Palace of Dresden, which laid the foundation for new international watchmaking success.
Lange & Söhne Dresden reflects the personality of the brand, characterised by its claim” state-of-the-art tradition“. Therefore, only the best was good enough for the interior: The furnishings and ambience were created in the same spirit of perfect craftsmanship and technological innovation expressed in the watches of A. Lange & Söhne. Lange gave the challenging task of designing and constructing the interior of the Dresden premises to the renowned Deutsche Werkstätten Hellerau GmbH.
The manufacture, established in 1898 by the master carpenter and social reformer Karl Schmidt, influenced furniture styles in the first half of the 20th century. From the very beginning, the company pursued the goal of combining craftsmanship and art as well as functionality and interior design.
It would not be exaggerated to say that the two companies are guided by a kindred spirit of commitment to Saxon craftsmanship. This congeniality made it possible to adopt virtually every detail of the Lange leitmotif in the design of the showrooms: The coffered walls in typical Lange grey create a pleasant contrast to the indigenous acacia wood. The design conceals the latest in communication, presentation and security technology.
Light-coloured sandstone was selected for the display cabinets and the floors – the same material used to construct buildings such as the Frauenkirche. The collection drawers housing the watchmaking treasures have fronts of Meissen porcelain. For the VIP room, the porcelain manufacturer produced hand-painted murals with custom-designed watch motifs.
Mirrors treated with a special technique show images from Ferdinand Adolph Lange’s journey book, while the stucco ceiling captures historic decorative elements. Two baroque angels are a gentle reminder to visitors that they are, after all, right in the middle of Germany’s most beautiful baroque city. Of course, the art of watchmaking can be experienced live as well. A master watchmaker is available there to carry out certain maintenance work and check-ups on site.
A. Lange & Söhne Dresden
Quartier an der Frauenkirche