The enameling technique applied on metal objects, introduced about 2800 years B.C. and having its roots in ancient Egypt, goes closely hand in hand with glass history being composed by substances richly found in nature and largely spread.
However, it is commonly known that the Egyptians’ expertise was related only to the technique of coloured glass, best known as millefiori (multi-coloured glass), and vitreous paste which was used for decorating jewellery, by means of special putties that cleaved it on the metal surface; the turning-point came with the Romans who introduced the hot-work process, which will be carried on unchanged up to our days.
Since decades ZANNETTI displays different enamelling techniques for his dials. For example, in the new Regent the dials unfold the champlevé enamelling. It is worthwhile to remember that the Twelfth century is considered the golden age of furnishings decorated with champlevé enamel.
In all Europe, from 1150 to 1250, the master goldsmith-enamellers crafted in their workshops an outstanding amount of liturgical objects, which were created following this complicated technique. To realize a champlevé enamel dial you must first carve the desired design, with a hard pencil, on the surface of a metal plate which must be at least two millimetres thick.
Subsequently the design is hollowed out and uncarved with a stylet (in matter of fact champlevé means literally raised field) creating the layout, one millimetre thick, for the enamel. The verges of this hollow shall have to be refined in order to obtain a perfect and flawless result. By means of a spatula the hollow is filled with enamel. The plate will process a first heat-treat, and then undertake other heat-treatments in the oven until the dial shall display the final outcome.
- Case: Three parts steel case (Ø 42 mm, tk. 10 mm)
- Water resistance: 5 atmosphere
- Crown: Pressured closed crown hand personalized
- Glass: Sapphire anti-reflex glasses and logo engraved
- Bottom: Stainless steel fixed by five screws, decentralized sapphire glass opening
- Strap: Louisiana alligator leather, hand sewing
- Buckle: Stainless steel deployant, Zannetti personalized
- Dial: Polychrome handmade champlevé enamel
- Hands: Alpha hands yellow gold-plated.
- Movement: Automatic-winding, Swiss Made, Zannetti re-elaborated.
- Rhodium and perlage plate, Cote de Géneve, blue steel screws
Featured Model: Regent Regatta champlevé enamels dial Ref. RERMAA.1011.337