We have all stared in wonder at the majestic celestial luminary with its soft glow that lights up the night. In turn reddish or ochre-coloured, radiantly bright or draped in black, the Moon takes on an infinite variety of fascinating hues and gentle nuances.
Meanwhile, the accounts of astronauts who have been privileged to see it at close range testify to an entirely different reality. The Moon stripped of its abstract beauty and its smooth luminosity imposes its huge, spherical presence.
Viewed from that close, the Moon is a grim, ravaged world composed of sombre shades of grey, oceans of dust and ashes, along with craggy cliffs and craters of lava that cooled down three billion years ago. When bathed in the light of the sun, its austere stone-grey appearance is replaced by a softly rosy chestnut brown tinge.
While only some may remember its exact colours, everyone can call to mind this light that is so strangely mysterious to the human gaze. In order to reflect these subtle shades, the Romain Jerome watchmakers have for once adopted a revolutionary procedure from the world of art, by applying a mineral coating comprising authentic Moon Dust combined with natural pigments.
This year, as seen through the eyes of Yvan Arpa, the Moon is white, silver or black for automatic models, and sandy coloured for the Tourbillons in the Moon Dust-DNA collection.
Model: Romain Jerome Moon Dust-DNA Crisis Tourbillon Unique Timepiece
- BNB Caliber 1000RJ Tourbillon
- Mechanical movement with manual winding-mechanism
- A one-minute tourbillon suspended without ball bearing is arranged at 6 O’clock
- Frequency: 21,600 vph
- Jewels: 19
- Power reserve: 120 hours
- Function: hours, minutes, tourbillon
- Dial: mineral structure containing Moon Dust*
- Case: 46 mm
- Bezel: Carbon fibres evoke solar panels of spacecraft – titanium and steel comprising fragments from the Apollo XI spacecraft*
- Paws: blackened steel
- Screws: Star screws
- Crown designed as space tools
- Hands inspired by Sputnik antennas
- Strap: alligator leather partly woven with fibres from an ISS* spacesuit
- Buckle: blackened satin-finished steel folding buckle
- Unique piece
* Romain Jerome guarantees that the origin of each of these materials is duly certified by a legal document authenticated in Switzerland. Each piece in the Moon Dust-DNA collection will also be accompanied by a certificate from the Association of Space Explorers (ASE) saluting the approach of Romain Jerome and the tribute it is thereby rendering to the conquest of space.