Presented in 2008, the Richard Mille Automatic RM 010 comes dressed in a titanium case that houses Caliber RM 005-S, a skeletonized automatic movement loaded with several innovative features.
Major highlight of this timepiece is the watch case with improved functionality. This was the subject of an entire year of research and development. With regard to the production of each case, 68 different stamping operations are required for the three main components (bezel, middle section and case back). The machine tooling process requires 8 days of adjusting the machines for the bezel, 5 days for the middle section and 5 days for the case back. Prior to this process, developing a methodology for carrying out this series of operations took 120 hours, the drawings for the tools 130 hours, and implementation 180 hours. Each rough case involves 202 separate machining operations. The design and execution of the watch demonstrates a complete conceptual approach to the movement, case and dial.
As a result, everything has been constructed according to an extremely rigorous specification, in the manner of the analytical engineering methods used in the design of Formula 1 racing cars where the chassis and the engine are developed in complete harmony. For example, a casing ring is no longer used and the movement is mounted on chassis mounting rubbers (ISO SW) fixed by 4 titanium screws. Features such as these are evidence of uncompromising workmanship. The tripartite case is water resistant to 50 meters, ensured by three Nitril O-ring seals. The case is assembled with 12 spline screws in grade 5 titanium and abrasion resistant washers in copper-nickel-zinc alloy.
Other Special features
- Rotor With Variable Geometry: Arm in grade 2 titanium Flange in grade 2 titanium. 6-positional adjustment via grade 5 titanium screws Wings in 18-carat, high palladium content white gold Weight segment in tungsten/cobalt alloy Ceramic ball bearings.. Unidirectional; anti-clockwise winding direction. This exclusive RICHARD MILLE design allows the rewinding of the mainspring to be adapted most effectively to the user’s activity level within sports or leisure environments. By adjusting the six positional setting of the rib’s placement, the rotor’s inertia is modified, either speeding up the winding process in the case of minimal arm and hand movements, or slowing it down when high activity sports are pursued. As a result, this invention allows the movement’s winding mechanism to be optimized and personalized to the owner’s lifestyle.
- Bottom Plate, Bridges and Balance Cock Made of Titanium: The manufacture of these components in grade 2 titanium with black PVD coating allows the whole assembly to be given great rigidity, as well as precise surface flatness which is essential for the perfect functioning of the gear train. The skeletonized baseplate was subjected to separate and extensive validation tests to insure optimal strength requirements.
- Double Barrel System: The double barrel system helps improve torque stability over a longer period. This is achieved by utilizing more turns of the barrel, thereby reducing pressure and wear on the teeth, bearings and pivots, resulting in improved long-term performance.
- Date Display: Semi-instantaneous, placed in a vertical aperture at 7 o’clock. The calendar disc of sapphire crystal is treated with non-reflective coating on both sides.
- Interior Flanges: Upper flange in black carbon fiber, the index points filled with approved luminous material; minute flange in black carbon fiber.
- Closure of the barrel cover using off-center screws: This development is again part of the intention to make servicing easy, logical, and of a very high mechanical standard.
- Spline Screws in Grade 5 Titanium for the Bridges and Case: This permits better control of the torque applied to the screws during assembly. These screws are therefore unaffected by physical manipulation during assembly or disassembly and age well.
- Crown: In grade 5 micro-blasted titanium, with double seal O-ring and collar in Alcryn.
- Dial: In sapphire (thickness: 0.40 mm) with anti-glare treatment (both sides), protected by 8 silicon braces inserted in the upper and lower grooves.
- Crystal: Bezel side: In sapphire (1800 Vickers) with anti-glare treatment (both sides). Thickness: 1.20 mm; Case back: In sapphire with anti-glare treatment (both sides); Thickness: at the center 1 mm and outer edges 1.73 mm.
Caliber RM 005-S: Skeletonized automatic movement with hours, minutes, seconds, date and adjustable rotor geometry.
Dimensions of movement: 30.20 x 28.60 mm; Thickness: 6.35 mm
Number of jewels: 32
Barrel Arbor – in AP 20 steel
Balance: GLUCYDUR, 3 arms, inertia moment 4.8 mg cm2, angle of lift 53º
Frequency: 28,800 vph (4 Hz)
Balance Spring: Elinvar Nivarox
Index Assembly: Triovis N°2
Shock Protection: Incabloc 908.22.211.100 (transparent)
Escapement Wheel Jewels: Rubifix (transparent)
Stem With Three Positions: manual winding, time setting, date adjustment.
Power reserve: 55 hours
Length 48 mm x 39.30 mm (widest point) x 13.84 mm (thickest area)
– Bottom plate and bridges in hand-ground titanium, wet sandblasted, PVD treated
– Anglage and polishing by hand- Locking sections hand polished- Burnished pivots
– Diamond polished sinks on the bridge side- Pinions with undercuts – Sandblasted and rhodium-plated, beveled wheels
– Sapphire blasted surfaces
– Anglage and polishing by hand
– Screw slot and screws beveled and polished with rounded and polished tip